Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Binding Time

Today I’ve been enjoying some slow stitching time, hand stitching the binding down on my neutral strings  donation quilt.  This is always a very pleasant task, one which I quite enjoy.

P1340695

Of course, before I got to this stage, I had to sit and machine quilt it.  Once I removed Gemma from the chair by my sewing machine – with the quilt to be worked on draped over the back.  It’s obviously nice and cozy there for her.

P1340694
My turn on the chair now, Gemma

I kept the quilting simple, in the ditch around the sashing,serpentine stitch through each block, and wavy lines in the borders.  Then today, when I had finished stitching the binding down, it was outside in the morning sunshine for a photo shoot.  This single bed sized quilt will be donated to Foster Hope, a charity which looks after children in care.

P1340705
Donation quilt

This is the second quilt I have made using these neutral string blocks (not QAYG).  I made a whole pile of the blocks some time ago, sewing the strips over very light Vilene when I was interested in taking part in one of Bonnie Hunter’s Mystery Quilts.  That didn’t eventuate so I’m pleased to be putting these blocks to good use, and have enough still left for a cot quilt.

13 comments:

Jill said...

Quilts are cat magnets for sure. Very nice charity quilt which I’m sure will make a kid feel cozy. Wavy line quilting in the border looks very nice! I must remember that.

Kim said...

Such a pretty quilt; love the blue of the sashing and border. Lovely quilting too. Your Gemma looks so comfy asleep in your chair. Enjoy stitching the binding on, Jenny.

CathieJ said...

What a pretty quilt. It is so nice that you spend the time to make something so pretty that you will donate. I like how you quilted it.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Nice string quilt! I have two shoeboxes full of string blocks that I need to turn into a quilt or several quilts. Putting in those binding stitches is always so satisfying.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

always nice to get the binding done

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Sometimes, the simplest quilts are the most effective. That's lovely.

Maria said...

A lovely quilt and it will keep someone nice and warm....

Kathy S. said...

Love the blue sashing among all the soft neutrals. Great for a donation quilt. Gemma is adorable! She looks even softer than the chair. What a fun project friend.

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely quilt!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your neutral strings are just beautiful, Jenny, and I love the blue sashing and border, too! Enjoy stitching the binding!

loulee said...

Cats know a cosy spot when they see it.
Your finished quilt looks lovely.

Birthe Marie said...

A beautiful quilt, and so nice of you to donate it to someone who really needs it. :-)

Karen S said...

This is a lovely quilt and a lovely finish.