Here we go again, another week, and another dice roll. Oops, don’t think it happened last week, but who’s counting these days? This week I will be working on number one from my List of Six, my neutral strings blocks. This was started quite some time ago, so I’m pleased to have it to the top of the list again. I had stitched a whole pile of neutral string pieced blocks, made ages ago when I started on “Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll”, a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. This was as far as I got with the quilt, and last year I made a child’s donation quilt using some of these blocks. This is number two using these squares, and believe it or not, there will still be enough for a third small quilt!
Put any quilting on the floor, and the cat comes to check it out!
I’m using a teal blue fabric for the sashing, and the rows are now being pieced together. Let’s see how far I get this week.
Assembling the rows
We had a busy day yesterday when we had a tradesman in the house. Finally, our heat pump was getting some attention, after weeks of being in Lockdown. Now that New Zealand has dropped down to Alert Level 3, some businesses can now operate as long as they adhere to the strict rules now in place. In these Covid 19 days, having a tradesman in the house takes some planning. While the tradesman was working, for social distancing reasons, we were asked not to be in the same room as him. I decided to distance myself in the caravan, taking Gemma with me.
I had packed my library book and knitting and with the kettle on the gas hob, a cup of coffee or two, I was quite happy. It was a lovely morning, the sunshine was streaming in the windows, and Gemma soon settled down for a snooze.
Relaxing in the caravan
We had decided to get a new replacement heat pump, rather than repair our existing unit. Jonathan was busy outside at the back of the house replacing the outside unit, while Robin stayed inside. These units have gas inside (I didn’t know that) which had to be sucked out and safely contained. The new unit was installed, and as the unit is complete with new refrigerant gas, when the system is sealed the gas is released, and that part of the job was completed. After a socially distant lunch break (Jonathan solitary outside on the patio and us inside) the second phase was done, installing the interior unit. Finally the job was complete after a satisfactory test run, and we were good to go again – ready and waiting for the next cold spell.
While Jonathan was busy working, with the company van parked outside, two neighbours came knocking on the door wanting some work done on their own heat pumps. With two extra jobs to be logged, the company will be pleased with that, I’m sure.