Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Under the Sea

There’s quite a bit of “slow stitching” on this project, all stitched some time ago now.  I’ve spent the last few days putting it all together, using a pastel stripe for the sashing strips.  “Under the Sea” was a Block of the Month stitchery designed by Willowberry Designs in 2010.

P1340450
Under the Sea

The blocks contain all sorts of whimsical sea creatures.  I rather like Josephine Jellyfish with her pink bow and purple tendrils.

P1340454
Josephine Jellyfish

Another hour or so over the long weekend and I had the small quilt layered and pinned.  Plus the binding prepared.  It’s always good to progress further a step or two, so I’ll put it away till the next roll of the dice brings up number five again.

P1340483
Pinned and ready for machine quilting

It’s certainly been a completely different Easter holiday this year.  Here in New Zealand we are in Level Four State of Emergency and halfway through a 4 week lockdown, with the message being “stay safe, stay home and save lives”.  Non essential travel is not permitted, and we must stay local.  So instead of packing the caravan and heading away for the Easter weekend, as we usually do, we are all listening to the rules, staying home and having a “Staycation”.

P1340484
Staying home for Easter

I’ve been busy in the kitchen doing some baking.  Used the last cup of my meager supply of flour, then gratefully started on the bag which my daughter Nicky kindly sent to me by courier a couple of days ago.  What to bake was the question.  I decided on a date loaf and some shortbread.  Half of the shortbread are now put away in the freezer to use later on, and I’m sure we will have enough for our immediate wants and needs.  Straight out of the oven, it smelt wonderful!  It’s certainly a strange new world when a gift of a bag of flour  can bring such joy!

P1340486
Baking afternoon

Wishing everyone Happy Easter holidays, and may you all keep safe and secure at home in your own bubbles.  Doing some stitching keeps us calm and happy, and baking fills the need to nurture our loved ones.

19 comments:

Julierose said...

HAPPY EASTER to you and yours, too.
Love your Under the Water Stitcheries...so cute..
~ ~ ~ from staying at home Julierose

Karen S said...

Lovely work with your sea quilt. It looks great.
And your baking looks delicious!

loulee said...

Yum, I wish we lived closer, very much closer. We would be trading over the garden fence, socially distant of course. My relish for your shortbread.

Kate said...

You are so right, Jenny, about this being a strange world just now. Your shortbread look delicious - they're my fave. I like your under the sea stitchery!

CathieJ said...

Flour is in short supply here in New York also. We are staying home this Easter except to bring an Easter dinner to our elderly mothers. I miss celebrating with my children, but I am glad that we are all healthy and safe. I know that is not true for many in my area. Your whimsical quilt is so pretty. I love the colors. Happy Easter! Cathie

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your shortbread cookies look delicious. I'm going to bake cookies this week too. I think we're all learning to appreciate 'gifts' that we took for granted before. Have a blessed Easter!

Quilter Kathy said...

I wish I liked baking more because I sure like eating it!
Maybe that will come after another month of quarantine??
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!
Happy Easter!

Quilter Kathy said...

I forgot to say... love love love your embroidery quilt with the sea theme!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh that pink bow in Josephine's hair really put a smile on my face.

Angela said...

Your under the sea quilt is so charming!

Maria said...

Great to have put the Sea Creatures together for quilting. Sweet quilt...
Oh your baking does look delicious.. I love homemade shortbread.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

short bread sounds wonderful - I'm baking too much and the waist line is telling me to stop. Cute embroidered top. We have been staying home nearly a month now other than the short trips to pick up groceries and prescriptions

Tired Teacher 2 said...

How can you bear to put this darling quilt away to wait for its number to come up again? Enjoy your baked treats.

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilt/stitching! Have a Happy Easter!

Nancy J said...

We delight in the simplest of all things these days, mine was to get a " Click and Collect " time slot, exactly 7 days ahead. To know we have ample food, a warm bed, firewood ordered very early, and friends.I am thinking the 4 weeks will extend? School will not return on the possible date, and Universities, the students still pa a room rate, a VERY little reduces for the long time until they might return. Raining here at 6.20 a.m. no light on anywhere, and the cats are all rushing in and company,.

Lyndsey said...

I love you Under the sea quilt and Josephine is adorable. I have some flour and will be making a cake later. It is older daughter's birthday today and the younger one on Saturday so I need to make sure I have sufficient flour for 2 cakes. Take care.

Janice said...

It’s good that your quilt is progressing. Such a shame for it to languish. I think the cooler weather is also making us feel like baking. I know this happens to me every year, but we don’t always have the time. We are starting to see what we take for granted when foods are missing from the shops. Enjoy your treats.

Raewyn said...

Your UFO will have enjoyed the airing Jenny, it's lovely. Your baking looks delicious too - buying flour really is a bit hit and miss these days - great that your daughter was able to get some for/to you.

Shari said...

What a coincidence - I was just looking through my archive to pull out these same stitcheries. Unfortunately I'm missing the octopus and the turtle. I'll try to draft them from the photos as they are no longer available to purchase. You have a very sweet quilt. Hope you continue to stay well in these odd times.