Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, April 27, 2020

Thank You Cynthia - More Lockdown Sewing

While browsing my favoutite blogs the other day, as you do, I came across this great idea from Cynthia, on her blog “Quilting is more fun than housework”.  It was all about how she made a cover to put on the handle of supermarket trollies - read about it here.  So practical, I just had to have a go myself.

Mine started with a small table topper made with New Zealand designs which I previously used in the caravan.  That will do, I thought.  Gemma decided that of course I wanted her too in the shot, isn’t that why I laid it on the carpet?

P1340564
Mmm, I can see some kiwis here.

It was quite an easy make, what's a little more Lockdown sewing to fill in an afternoon?  First I chopped the black borders off, then sliced it in half, giving me two rectangles.  Sew some binding on, add some Velcro for closure, and here we go, all finished.  I wasn't quite sure how to judge the diameter of the handles, so used a roll of baking paper to give me some guidance.  I can always resew one side of the Velcro later on if its not quite right.

P1340567
Two supermarket handle covers

So here they are, two supermarket trolley handle covers.  It seems a great idea to use these, take them home to wash, and pack away till the next visit.  (Perhaps using a terry hand towel would also work).  Mind you, it’s not only supermarkets which provide trollies is it, our local veggie shop, big stores like The Warehouse, Bunnings and Mitre 10, and that old favourite, Spotlight.  Once these stores open up again the covers will come in handy, not only protecting us from Covid 19 but also from coughs, colds and other germs.

Thanks so much Cynthia for sharing such a great idea, much appreciated.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Clever creation, Jenny, and so much easier to carry with you.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

A clever idea!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

thats a great idea, I read Cynthia's blog but missed that post for some reason!

loulee said...

What a great idea. Thank you for sharing.

Karen S said...

Great idea and a very smart move.

Annette said...

In Australia our trolleys & baskets are being sanitised before we touch them, hand sanitizer is also available in all supermarkets plus I carry my own. Take care

The Joyful Quilter said...

I can't believe you cut apart a table topper to make your handle cover!! On second thought, you are brilliant. Saved yourself SEW much time by using something quilted that you had on hand instead of starting from scratch!

Janice said...

What a clever idea