Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, April 3, 2020

Looking for Teddies

Teddy bears are playing their part by bringing a little joy into people’s lives as we live in the Covid 19 Lockdown.   The teddies have been placed into windows around the country, and all around the world too, a fun idea to keep children entertained as they go for a walk with their parents around their local streets.   There are no children in our village, but many of our neighbours go for a daily walk.  Big Ted is doing his best to cheer our neighbours up a little as they walk by.

P1340422
Big Ted in our window

Big Ted is getting on a bit now, he must be in his late 20s now I think.  I remember knitting him while the grand-daughters were little and they liked to play with him when they came to visit.  He has been tucked away out of sight in the sewing room for quite some time, and is really pleased to be now doing his bit for the good of the  country.  Our Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern admitted she also has a teddy in her window, so Big Ted is in good company.

And what’s this I spotted just across the road from us?  There were two faces peeping out through the window – looks like Bugs Bunny and is that Wiley E Coyote perhaps?

P1340421
Hello Bugsy, keep well away from your window mate

We took a walk around our village, camera in hand to see if we could spot any more teddies or other toys in the windows.  The only other one was  this little teddy in a red hat – sorry, not a very good photo with the reflection in the window.

P1340423

Life continues as usual during this lockdown phase of our lives, and I seem to be spending a lot of time in the kitchen lately.  We purchased a box of vegetables yesterday, it was pot luck what we received, and included three heads of broccoli, that’s a lot for two people.  A quick check with Mr Google (he knows everything) told me how to go about blanching and freezing them, so that’s what I did today, for the first time.  Not too hard at all, but if I do it again I know I will need lots more ice!  But the broccoli is all done, and free flow frozen and packed away in the freezer, so I feel rather virtuous. 

P1340425
Preparing the broccoli

Still working on stitching  my caravan place mats and apron, hopefully I’ll have more time to sew tomorrow. 

9 comments:

Julierose said...

You know, Jenny, I've been doing a whole lot more cooking, too--we don't often get "take out" to begin with, but now I am also baking from scratch like when we were first married.
I made banana nut bread last evening for our coming week's "treat"--treat because it used a whole stick of butter and an egg--precious commodities these days, right? But I mean--YUM, right???
I love that Teddy idea--so heart warming in these difficult days..
Stay safe ~ ~ ~ waving through our rainy, windy day to you Julierose ;)))

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I always freeze extra broccoli when I get too much - looks like a nice amount you got there! I figured out how to do groceries on line for our small closest store to us and they deliver for a small fee and tip for the driver all on line so that is what I did - I couldn't find all I wanted but we will not be hungry by a long shot!
The Teddy Bears are being done in towns around here also - I haven't bothered as no sees our windows up close as the house is set down a little from the road.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You've got a marvelous choice of projects to work on during this most unusual time. Good for you getting fresh vegetables. We have looked into taking part in a program from some of the many farms offering such around us. Put on hold now. I'm getting a little tired of my own cooking. Fresh broccoli is wonderful.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

According to the local newspaper, lots of bears in windows around town. I haven’t been out to see any of them. Maybe one day, I’ll drive around and go on a bear hunt.

Anonymous said...

You can also cut off the stems from a variety of veg and freeze them, good for soups, etc. No waste!
We are in Arizona right now, waiting for three days of good weather and roads so we can return to Canada, where we will have to be in quarantine for 14 days, no leaving home, and I am busily packing up whatever I think we will need for an extended period of time. Of course I have a good stash at home, as well as here, and plan to make many masks and quilts while waiting for this to flatten. Stay healthy and safe and wash your hands! Jill in PHoenix/Calgary

Nancy J said...

I looked for a time slot for a grocery delivery, and nothing for the next 7 days!!! Guess there are so many registering, so we continue with a friend battling the queue, and are so thankful. We have a purple ted in a window here, and see lots of people walking, biking with a dog on a lead, some we have not seen before, all out getting their local exercise. Some do have to drive to get to a safer place to ride their bikes, grandson would be one of them, Wellington city central streets are not the place to bike, even with less traffic as it is now. I am so glad we live in a small town.Are you still doing your own grocery shopping? I did hear that the local Civil Defence people will help if needed, and see they did a box drop off to another neighbour who does not drive. Any way anyone can help is so valued.

Maria said...

Such a cute idea to pop a Teddy or toy in the window but as our house is in the middle of 5 acres no one could see it but guess we can ?
Oh yes three broccoli would be a lot for us two as well. good on you freezing most...
Happy sewing and stay safe...

Janice said...

The teddies aren't just for kids are they? I think some of us "big kids" are getting just as much of a kick out of them. I wonder if the idea is all around the world, or just in Oz and NZ? I think we are all doing a bit more cooking, as we have the time. We don't eat out much, but I'm sure lots of people will miss having that option. Well done on learning how to freeze veges. As you say, very virtuous.

Karen S said...

Yes, the teddies are a lot of fun. I am seeing a lot more pop up i our walks, too.
Glad you have been able to get fresh veg. That is something I would really miss if it was not available.