Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Blue Selvedge Sewing, and Anzac Day

The month is rolling on and I’ve completed my last lot of blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  This month the colour is light/bright blue and I've been working on my two selvedge projects.  Quite simple sewing, I’ve made a blue selvedge block which will join the other colours to eventually become a bag.  And another little selvedge spool block – I’m making this to hang in my sewing room (spare bedroom in reality).

P1340491
Last blue blocks for the month

Wonder what colour will be chosen for May?  Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Here in New Zealand and over in Australia our countries have  just celebrated Anzac Day. ANZAC is an acronym for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, a grouping of several divisions created early in the Great War of 1914–18.  The Anzacs first saw action at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915. The small cove where the Australian and New Zealand troops landed was quickly dubbed Anzac Cove. Soon the word was being used to describe all the Australian and New Zealand soldiers fighting on the Gallipoli Peninsula. Later it came to mean any Australian or New Zealand soldier.

This year, because of Covid 19 Lockdown, the first time in more than a century, there'll be no dawn services to commemorate ANZAC Day.  People are encouraged to mark it in their own way, perhaps placing poppies in their letter boxes, or in windows. We have our hand crafted ceramic poppy outside our kitchen window.  This was purchased three years ago when we visited the Great War Exhibition at the historic Dominion Museum in Wellington -   read about our visit here.  And the New Zealand flag is proudly flying from our flagpole.

P1340537P1340538
Our poppy and flag

Giving thanks to all our Anzac heroes, past and present.

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I always love the red poppies that you all use to commemorate the day. I don't know if any of my family served in WWI but plenty did in WWII. It is always one more war isn't it - I doubt there will never not be one

Nancy J said...

Lots of tributes and solo performances, I listened to the young man at Pukekohe New World, and his electric guitar. Haunting music. Lovely fine day here, yesterday was eerily quiet. Lovely blue strips .

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I’ve wondered what “Anzac” represented, as I’ve seen it several times today. Bless all those who defended your country.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Pretty blue blocks, Jenny! I'm so glad to learn more about Anzac Day - it sounds like people found many special ways to commemorate it this year.

Maria said...

Two lovely Blue blocks to add to your others Jenny...
I think because we celebrated ANZAC DAY at home many more folk walked to the end of there driveways at 6am to houour of service men and women....

Karen S said...

Lovely work with your blue blocks again. They do look good.
Yes, it really was a very different ANZAC day this year!

Jo said...

I especially love that bue selvege block. Thanks for telling us about Anzac Day.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE your BLUE Selvage blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge! I don't know why I don't make more things using those sweet scraps.

Sara said...

Such a pretty blue selvage block. I have a whole bin of selvages and this reminds me it's time to dig in and use some of them again in a project.