Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, April 10, 2020

Worth it’s Weight in Gold

What a surprise to get an unexpected parcel delivered by the courier.  He quite correctly placed the parcel by the door after ringing the bell, then stood back a safe distance to while confirming he was at the correct address.

P1340448
The mystery parcel

This rather heavy parcel was from my daughter Nicky.  Was it an early delivery for Mother’s Day next month, I wondered?  Should I save it, or open in now, I enquired.  Open it, was the firm response, so I did.  And what's this I found inside?  A bag of flour, about 3kg or so, I reckon!

P1340449
Inside was a big bag of flour

The note read:  (abbreviated)
“Dear Nana, here’s some flour for you, we ended up getting a 20kg bag yesterday at the supermarket.  We hope you are doing well in Lockdown, and will enjoy doing baking with the flour.  Love from Emma and Nicky.”

With flour missing from our local supermarket shelves over the last few weeks, I’m extremely grateful, and can’t wait to get on with some baking.  It certainly is worth it’s weight in gold these days!

9 comments:

Nancy J said...

So true, I have shared yeast, tomatoes, banana loaves, and hit the. jackpot yesterday. After SO many attempts, I managed to get a " Click and Collect" time slot for next Thursday. Grand-daughter thought I might have won lotto when I started with those words.Flour is indeed gold these days, I think the supermarkets are getting in the massive bags and dividing it up, What a great surprise. a very quiet day, legs are so sore after replacing a smoke alarm battery, up on the chair way too many times. The curtains have been relegated to the back seat and am having some fun with place mats for son-in-law, maybe for next year now, St Patricks Day, but he did get another wonderful gift. Greetings to you both and the adorable girl too.

Maria said...

A very thoughtful gift....enjoy your baking...

Janice said...

That's too funny. Such a thoughtful parcel. One day Mick saw 25kg bags and asked if he should get one, as we hadn't been able to get a small packet at the supermarket. I replied "Definitey NOT". I don't do a great deal of baking, and would have nowhere to store it. A couple of days later he found some small SR flour at the small neighbourhood supermarket and bought two packets. Much better. Enjoy your baking.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

oh what a wonderful thoughtful surprise that was for you!! I am lucky to have plenty of flour right now and yeast - have you decided what you will bake first? Today I am baking bread and tomorrow Hot Cross Buns for Easter and will make a double batch and call up Melanie when they are done and we will visit a distance apart on the porch before she takes them home with her.
You have a very thoughtful daughter - one reason I have plenty of flour is that last week when mine went to the store she saw flour and remembered I had said there was none the last time I had went and she picked me up two bags. What a crazy world we are in right now when the gift of flour puts a smile on our faces.

Julierose said...

Oh what a great gift--I balk a little at baking, as butter is low, too; I got some Cisco for emergency usage. Getting groceries delivered here as we are in the peak of our State's virus numbers...I miss shopping at the grocery--never thought I'd ever say THAT;0000
Stay safe ~ ~ ~ waving from far away Julierose

Tired Teacher 2 said...

How sweet! I finally found a bag of flour and some yeast two weeks ago.

loulee said...

What a lovely surprise. I was lucky to be able to score the last bag of flour at my supermarket last time I shopped before the lockdown. Tony was able to get a small bag of high grade for his mum the other day, but it was the only bag there.
I was told that there is no shortage of flour, but rather a shortage of the paper bags it comes in!!
Enjoy your baking.

Karen S said...

What a lovely surprise and how thoughtful!

Kate said...

That's a very thoughtful gift!