Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Donation Time Again

For a change this week, I decided not to “roll the dice” to choose which UFO I would work on.  Instead I chose one which was not even on the list – a very pink cot quilt made from cozy flannel. This project started with six flannel squares from Jean  -  she had dropped off several bags of scraps some time ago full of all sorts of interesting bits and pieces.  Jean    blogs as https://jeanmckinstry.blogspot.com/.  I added pink squares to go with them and the idea grew from there.

P1340384
How it all started

Made in a strippy style with other pieces of flannel, all  found in my stash, it soon came together  This was assembled this some time ago in between doing other stitching, and it was at the pinned up stage, waiting to be machine quilted. 

P1340386
Helping with the layout

After a couple of afternoons quilting away at my sewing machine, plus an hour or so hand stitching the binding down, this cozy little quilt was completed.  I really wanted to get it finished this week, as we will be passing by a drop-off point for FosterHope, a charity looking after children in foster care.  I’m also sending along a quilt I made recently, this  one for a little boy, full of earth moving equipment. 

P1340669

P1330514
Two children’s quilts for donation

Included too are the draw-string bags I completed a while ago.  The children use these for toiletries or maybe their pens and pencils.  Once again, I try to make some suitable for boys as well, rather than just girly ones.  And I’m sending along the two little beanies I knitted, now that the winter is fast approaching I’m sure they will come in handy, keeping little heads warm.

P1340414P1340650

Tomorrow we are having “a big day out” meeting four friends for lunch in a café, so that will be exciting.  This will be our first social occasion since we went into Lockdown in March, and is out of our local area, somewhere we haven't been for some time.

8 comments:

ButterZ said...

Enjoy your day out and keep safe.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have fun on your outing. We are still waiting to see if case numbers will be going down more here before we venture out. Our area had a spike in cases last week and I want it going down before we venture out. Nice to make the items for the foster kids.

Julierose said...

You have been busy--lovely donation finishes there..I just love that pink one...;)))
Stay safe now--~ ~ ~ waving with my morning coffee Julierose

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Impressed with the knitting, Jenny, especially socks! And how kind you are to quilt for these wonderful causes. I'm sure a cozy quilt will be much appreciated. I've never sewn flannel...is it much different to stitch than cotton? Oh, I also think it's great you think of more boy colours.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Have fun at lunch. All of your donation items will be appreciated.

Janice said...

It must feel good handing over the donations. Enjoy being social butterflies after such a long time.

Karen S said...

Lovely work on the pink quilt. You have put together quite a collection for your donation. Well done.

Maria said...

It's awlays so good to make sweet quilts, bags and beanies for little ones who need some extra love.. Well done Jenny.