Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, May 15, 2020

Friday Finish

My Sampler top is now finished, once I had decided what to do with the border.  Although I had some floral fabric left, used in each block, it wasn’t enough to go right around.  I know, I thought, I’ll make some four patches, using  shades of red which tone in with the colour of the focus fabric.

P1340629
Four patches

Once again, I had help when I was measuring up the borders before pinning each one in place.

P1340631
A helping hand from Gemma

 P1340638
Job done – borders attached

Today I’ve prepared the binding, always like to get that done and out of the way.  Then thought about a label.  I wanted to use the “signature blocks” I received from quilters who took part, as well as having an area where I can write the details myself about the block swap.  This will be quite a big label so I will incorporate it into the quilt backing fabric, when I go and buy some.  Our country has now dropped restrictions to Level 2 meaning most shops can now open, as long as they adhere to the physical distancing, santitising, and customer record requirements.  I’m not in too much of a rush to venture out into the big wide world, so my shopping for wide backing fabric can wait for a while longer.  After all, this quilt has been hanging about since the Year 2000, so what's another few weeks in the scheme of things?

P1340658
One of the Signature blocks sent

10 comments:

loulee said...

Your pieced border looks really good, made better I'm sure with Gemmas help. LOL
I'm not in any hurry to venture out into the world either....

Janice said...

I'm finally catching up on some blog reading. I've loved seeing your sampler quilt come together. The four patches on the border really set it off. So much more effective than if it had just been floral. It was a long time coming together, but I bet you are pleased with the outcome. Was it your oldest UFO, or daren't I ask? I love your cat blocks. They are going to look so effective when all together.

Julierose said...

Love your border additions--super idea!! They really add a lot to the lovely quilt...
~ ~ ~ waving in the rain Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

finished off nicely!nice to have an old top finished I'm sure

Maria said...

The border looks fabulous... A few weeks to get backing definitely won't matter...

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

Sue Rostron said...

That border looks great and sets the top off perfectly.

Judith nb Serena said...

Your quilt top looks fabulous, love the border. You have been busy. Don't blame you for not wanting to go out. We think they've relaxed things too quickly so are staying put for another three weeks. The backing can wait, a little longer won't matter. Take care and stay safe.
Judith nb Serena

Michelle Ridgway said...

It looks fantastic Jenny.....gorgeous quilt! Well done!

Karen S said...

Great combination in your border. It is looking lovely.