Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

How Old is this UFO?

It’s time to “roll the dice” again (don’t the weeks roll around quickly) and this week I’m working on number 2 on my list, my Sampler quilt.  This poor project has been sitting on the list for ages, waiting for it’s number to be called.  As well as waiting on the list, the Sampler quilt has been tucked away  in a crate for absolutely ages, since the year 2000, in fact.  Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

P1340598
Blocks for Sampler quilt

Way back then, I was a member of the internet quilt group, Southern Cross Quilters, open to Australia and New Zealand quilters.  All messages came through emails, quite often 70 or so each day.  SCQ used to organise swaps, and this group of blocks was a birthday block swap.  I provided the floral fabric and the sewers did the rest, choosing background fabrics and their choice of blocks.  Sadly, over the years, SCQ email traffic died and the organisation went to Facebook some years ago.  I don’t do Facebook so that was the end of of my involvement with SCQs.  But I have this lovely group of blocks to remember times past.

P1340599
Gemma is helping with the layout

So now I’ve decided on the block arrangement, they are all in rows, adding the sashing as I go.  Wonder if I will get this top together by the end of the week?  Probably not, as I will have to decide on borders too.  It’s certainly good to get this project moving along again.

8 comments:

Maria said...

Have fun putting all those lovely blocks from Scquilters together...

ButterZ said...

I'm with you and don't do Facebook. Sounds like a safe worthwhile trip out in your last post

Julierose said...

Very pretty blocks, Jenny--this will become a lovely memory quilt...
I don't do facebook or insta-whatever or any of them either...just not for me...
Gemma is SO helpful;))))
~ ~ ~ waving under clouds today Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like a large quilting group on line that was active. I used to be in one on line that was large and active too but it went away. Gemma
always looks so content.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Love the story behind the blocks and this quilt. Some email groups I joined several years ago have moved to Facebook as well. I don’t understand the reasoning behind the move, so I don’t partake anymore.

Janice said...

I remember hearing of that group, but it was before I entered the fray of online crafting. Have fun putting your quilt together.

Karen S said...

How lovely to revive a project with so much history behind it. Good luck.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Jenny, just caught up on your posts. Cute masked villian. We went on our own grocery pick up this week and we felt like bandits getting ready in the car. It went well and I do think it was minimally risky.
You are doing great with this UFO. You seem to have so many beautiful blocks tucked away in those totes of yours.
Beware of new fangled mops. They don't seem to have the lasting power of old ones, I find.