Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, May 11, 2020

Happy Mother’s Day

Happy Mother’s Day, (I know I’m a day late)  to all the Mum’s out there – hope you all had a great Sunday.  Ours was a very quiet, stay at home kind of day.  But I did have the excitement of opening a parcel, couriered down from my daughter Nicky.  Wonder what’s inside?

P1340621P1340623
For Mother’s Day

Inside was a little hand woven basket, or kete, made from flax.  Wonder how she managed to do that, it looks a bit tricky to me.  And a little cellophane bag of no, not potpourri as I first thought, but coated walnuts, they look delicious.  I know she gathered the walnuts herself, cracked them all opened, then baked them with the flavouring, so it was quite a long drawn affair.   I think we will pack them in the caravan for when we can get away, and enjoy them for 4zees (Happy Hour) with our caravanning friends.

As a treat, I told Robin we would forgo our usual Sunday morning breakfast of bacon and eggs, instead I cooked some blueberry pancakes.  Nice and easy, a Jamie Oliver recipe.  We still needed bacon, Robin decided, and Maple Syrup on top.  But, I obviously didn’t read the label properly when I purchased the new bottle of sugar free Maple Syrup.  It was Blueberry flavoured, quite nice but not as nice as the more usual one.

P1340622
Bacon, blueberry pancakes and blueberry maple syrup

Being Monday morning it’s time for another “roll of the dice” .  It’s number 2 again, the same as last week.

P1340627
Number 2 again this week

I don’t mind working on number 2 again this week at all, hopefully it will give me the chance to get the border on my Sampler quilt.  Or at least make a good start on it this week.  I’ve got something in mind, lets see how it all works out.

P1340619
What to do for the border?

8 comments:

Nancy J said...

Lovely to receive a parcel these days, and real Maple Syrup is delicious, pricey down here, but a treat I save for special occasions.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Happy Mothers Day Jenny. What a lovely parcel. I love pancakes with bacon and maple syrup....My hubby things that I am crazy lol! I don't like eggs but this way I still get a lovely brekky treat! Your pancakes look delish!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I guess a lot of us that are doing social distancing had a quite mothers day like you - I too had a quite day
your breakfast looks yummy

Julierose said...

Lovely gift--they sound delicious...my son sent me a beautiful floral bouquet that just arrived this evening and then we had a long phone conversation--such a treat isn't it? Little things mean so much during these isolation times.

I think your quilt will be just lovely...
enjoy working on it ~ ~ ~ waving over the sea Julierose

Kim Sharman said...

Your Mother's Day breakfast looks delicious. Such a lovely present from your daughter. It's always a delight to receive packages in the post. So much beauty in your sampler quilt. There is so much lovely detail. You will imagine the perfect border.

Bonnie said...

What a nice treat to get in the mail. I was trying to figure out if the basket was woven with reeds and just a bit of flax. But I don’t have a clue about flax. I must do a search on it. I Used to make baskets but was never as good as your daughter! hope you get your borders on this week.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Coated walnuts are a sweet treat. I usually make them for Christmas gifts for friends. I just purchased some pure maple syrup- a delicious and expensive treat.

Jackie said...

Your Mother's Day Breakfast looks wonderful. I have never heard of blueberry flavoured Maple Syrup.

God bless.