Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Green Butterflies and Checkerboard Blocks

I’ve been stitching up dark green this week, and it’s that time again to share what we have made for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  This time I’ve made three more butterflies, and here they are, waiting to join their other colourful cousins in the butterfly collection.  This is a pretty little block, especially with their feelers added, and will make a nice girl’s donation quilt, I think.

P1340624
Three dark green butterflies

Then it was on to the Checkerboard blocks, using dark green again. Can you see the little kiwi peeping out?  There is not a great deal of contrast between the dark green and the black and white sashing fabric, I feel.  But there are blocks of brighter colours already made, so I’m sure it will all be fine in the end.  This one will eventually become a boys donation quilt.

P1340625-640x480 
Four Checkerboard blocks

Our Lockdown restrictions have been eased here in New Zealand a little so Yellow Ted has stood down from his window duties, looking out at people walking by and giving them a cheery wave.  Well, he would if he could move his arms, I’m sure about that. Teddy Bears have been placed in windows all over the country over the last couple of months.  Yellow Ted was very proud to be part of the National Pandemic Home Guard Team, he told me!

P1340422P1340648
Good on you, Yellow Ted

13 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

You were SEW productive this week, Jenny (and I have to say that I absolutely LOVE your tie dyed tunic!!)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your dark green butterflies and checkerboards will look great mixed with all the other colors! I love Yellow Ted - what a fun guy to have waving from your window!

Julierose said...

Lovely butterflies!! So encouraging in this dark time...
Cute Teddy, too ~ ~ ~ waving in the sunset Julierose

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Bravo, Yellow Teddy! Your new blocks are lovely, I especially like the butterfly blocks.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Ahh love that teddy bear!

ButterZ said...

Nice butterflies. I'm glad teddy has earns a holiday. He has done a good service. Glad to hear NZ is recovering and moving on.

Nancy J said...

The Home Guard, only those of us at this age or thereabouts would know those words. All I remember is my Dad polishing the buttons on his jacket with Brasso, and sugar cubes, wrapped in paper, no doubt from the American soldiers at a nearby beach where they had an airstrip, and massive bulldozers and jeeps.

Maria said...

Well done with your dark greens for RSC.. I think I have some of the first butterfly's green ???
Great job you did Yellow Ted.. Enjoy your est...

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Hi, Jenny! Very nice green blocks for your donation quilts. And well done, Yellow Ted!

Angela said...

Your green butterflies are super cute. Glad your quarantine bear is taking a break. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Well done Yellow Ted! Great job! I do love your butterflies Jenny. They are going to make a beautiful quilt....chequerboard blocks are always lovely xx

Karen S said...

Your green blocks are looking great. How quickly these piles grow.
And well done Ted!

Susie H said...

Lovely blocks and Hello, Yellow Ted!