Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, May 9, 2020

Top (almost) finished

I’ve been working away this week assembling my rather old (from year 2000) swap blocks into a top.  These have been tucked away in a crate all this time and only now get the chance to come out and be liberated.  Row by row the blocks have been sewn together, adding pale lilac sashing.  And as I usually do, while stitching my main project, I do leader and ender sewing as well.  In this case, assembling blocks for a donation quilt, it’s amazing how quickly these get stitched up.

P1340611
Sashing strips and leader and ender sewing

With the rows all together the next step was to add the sashing around the outside edges.  Folding the top in half, I laid in on the floor to measure.  And Gemma  immediately thought this was put down for her amusement.

P1340610
I’m trying to measure the edges, Gemma

Finally, the last sashing strips were added to the edges, and it was time for a photo shoot.  Almost finished, but not quite.  I’m thinking of what to do for the border, and have a little of the floral fabric left, so will have to come up with a creative idea to finish this project off.

P1340619
All the blocks assembled

As well as stitching away over the last few days I’ve also done some baking.   It’s feijoa season at the moment and Paul and Elaine’s trees were covered in fruit.  Would you like some, we were asked?  Yes please, and they were dropped off at the door for us.  Thanks so much, much appreciated.  I love them but Robin is not keen on them at all.

P1340585
A big bag of feijoas

Such a lot of fruit in the bag, and I decided to use some in baking.  So I made feijoa muffins flavoured with cinnamon, these were yummy, and we had one after our evening meal last night.  Just pretend they are made with apple instead of feijoas, I told Robin, and you will enjoy them more.  I also baked a feijoa loaf, which I have packed away in the freezer.  This will be handy to take away once we are permitted to travel around the country again on a caravan trip following our lockdown period -  I’m sure a slice of buttered feijoa loaf will be very tasty for afternoon tea.

P1340613
Baking with feijoas

So that's been my week safely staying at home during lockdown, what have you been getting up to?

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have not heard of that fruit and had to google it. The quilts blocks from 2000! wow that must have felt good to have them done

Jackie said...

Definitely going to have to google that fruit. Your muffins and loaf look very tasty.

The quilt is going together very quickly.

God bless.

Maria said...

WOW ! Those blocks have came together beautifully....
I just looked up Feijoas Friut as I'd never heard of it ...
You have made delicious muffins and cake with the fruit....

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I haven’t heard of feijoas, but your muffins and bread look yummy. The sampler blocks look great together!

loulee said...

Your quilt top looks great.
Yummy feojoas. I always find that the flavour changes when you bake with them. Tony like Robin doesn't like the fresh fruit, but devours anything I bake with them.

Judith nb Serena said...

I remember fiejoas from when we visited New Zealand. Love your 2000 quilt top, it's beautiful. You have had a busy week.
Judith nb Serena

Raewyn said...

Your quilt top is lovely - I'm pleased Gemma allowed you to finish putting the sashing on! Our Feijoas are now nearly finished, although with a variety of varieties there's still one late bush with a few. Your baking looks delicous.

Karen S said...

Well done getting all the blocks together. And that baking looks delicious.