Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Green Selvedge Sewing

I’ve a little more dark green sewing to share this week, using some of my selvedges.  Don’t know why, but no matter how many selvedge strips I use each time, there seems to be just as many hiding in the bag!  Many thanks to Angela of So Scrappy for organising all the Rainbow Scrap Challenge sewers and running the Linky Party.  It’s always so nice to see what others have been stitching too each week.

So what RSC stitching have I done this week?  Another selvedge block to add with the others I’ve already stitched.  These will probably get made into a tote bag, unless I come up with another idea.  And while I had the green selvedges out and all over the floor, I thought I would make a double handed oven cloth. Luckily I had some sacking for the backing, that always wears well, plus some toweling for the middle layer.

P1340602-640x480
Sewing with green selvedges

Let’s see how the selvedge blocks all look together, I’m sure they will play nicely and behave themselves.  Will still need to do more of course as the months progress, wonder what the colour for June will be? 

P1340691
Selvedge blocks so far

14 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I never seem to remember to save selvedges. I love the blocks you’ve made: they look great together.

ButterZ said...

Your double ended mitt is just lovely. Those QAYG blocks will make a beautiful quilt too. They show so many interesting thins to read and look at.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have you ever used Insul-Brite for the batting inside the oven mitt? I really need to make myself some new ones - I use them until they fall apart -- I have used insul-brite and the heat doesn't got through the mat
I like how yours turned out

Jenny said...

Yes I have used insulbrite previously but didn't have any more tucked away.

Janice said...

They both look so effective. Oven mitts are so handy.

Maria said...

Those salvages will make a great bag and the Oven Mitt looks good...

chrisknits said...

The mitt is wonderful, looks like you have used a lot of green fabric to have so many selvedges!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your GREEN selvedge oven mitt is AWESOME, Jenny!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your selvage string blocks are wonderful, Jenny! And what a great idea to make an oven mitt out of some of them - I'm going to have to remember that.

Cheryll said...

Your new oven mitts look great... & the best way to use up salvages...xox

Karen's Korner said...

Great string blocks and the double oven glove looks fabulous made from the selvages.

Jo said...

Inspiring! My selvege bin is overflowing. I like your color themed blocks so maybe that is a way to pare down my supply....

Angela said...

What great selvage blocks.

Karen S said...

These always look good. Lovely work.