Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, July 31, 2020

Moving on to Plan B - Under the Sea

Oh dear, sometimes things just don’t work out as you have hoped.  I had FMQ two of my Under the Sea blocks with wavy lines to depict sea currents, and decided I didn't like the look of it at all.  So out came my trusty seam unpicker and I got to work unpicking all those lines, which took absolutely ages, I might add.

P1000280

I unpicked all this FMQ

I decided to quilt around the stitchery block, then added serpentine stitch to mimic the movement of little eddies rising up from the sea floor.   The first finished block looks like this.

P1000282

Quilting, Plan B

I think I like it better than Plan A.  I do know that I’m not doing any more unpicking so will continue on with Plan B.  And have a finish sometime soon.

6 comments:

Julierose said...

Lots of "Plan b's " happening these days i think. I like how yours turned out...
~ ~ ~ waving in the much- needed rain Julierose

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

I think I prefer the second stitching because it echoes the direction of the embroidery.
I have always liked the water pattern that you initially used but thought there might have beentoo much of it for the block.
Once the quilt is on a bed, I don't know that it will be as noticeable because the star is the embroidery (IMO).
Love your blog.

Maria said...

I did like plan A but plan B does look better.... 👍🏼

Karen S said...

Big changes. I still didn't mind the other one.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh the quilting part... that can be a challenge. Simply deciding on the "right" design is a big step. I think both options look nice.

Janice said...

Good luck getting it completed. It’s hard deciding what looks best, until you try it.