Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Under the Sea

This week I’m working on my “Under the Sea” quilt, number 5 on my list.  It’s been all layered and pinned up and raring to go for a while so I’m really pleased it is getting a turn again.  Goodness knows when I stitched these blocks, quite some time ago now.

P1340483
Under the Sea

As usual, the first job was to stitch in the ditch around all the blocks, to hold it all securely in place.  Well pinned along each seam line, as I always like to do.

P1000275
Stitch in the ditch

With all the different stitchery blocks, I couldn't really do straight line quilting so decided to try for an undersea wavy effect using free motion quilting.  I don’t really enjoy FMQ much at all, so I’m taking it slowly.  Here’s the first block done, finished but not perfect, but that's OK.  So I’ll be persevering to see how I get on with the other blocks this week.  We are home this coming weekend, so I really hope to get this quilt done, fingers crossed.

P1000280
Jellyfish block

And this is what our cat Gemma is doing, being really brave – she’s blending in with our winter  “polar bear” cover on the recliner chair.  The caretaker is outside cutting the lawns with his noisy lawnmower and she is trying to ignore the noise.  Usually she runs away and hides in the wardrobe when she is upset with loud noises.

P1000277
Tell that man to stop that noise, Mum, so I can have a snooze

8 comments:

Maria said...

"Under the Sea" is such a lovely quilt and your FM wavy quilting in the jellyfish block looks really nice.. well done.
Poor Gemma. Hope the lawnmower man was quick.

Julierose said...

Really lovely undersea blocks--nice that you are getting them together--and at the quilting stage...I don't free motion at all...i just cannot get the hang of it...
Tell Gemma we don't like loud noises either :)))
hugs from inside in the AC Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks like the quilting you are doing suits this quilt just fine!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Wavy quilting stitches look great on the first block. I think your idea was spot on! I enlarged the quilt photo to see the blocks better - they must have been fun to stitch.

Jackie said...

Love the waves. They do remind me of the sea, so great pick.

God bless.

Bits of Stitching! said...

Beautiful quilt and lovely hand embroidered blocks!

Karen S said...

I think your under the sea waves are working really well for the quilting. Looking good.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh! I remember this "Under the Sea" BOM! Wasn't it offered by Cheryl Goss? If I recall, she announced a move and stopped blogging. Whatever became of her? I made this quilt too, and I finished it in December 2010 (I just looked it up on my blog). I made it with the thought to give it to a "someday" grandchild. But we had four grandSONs, and somehow, the design really wasn't appropriate for a boy. So the quilt is still here, perhaps for a someday great-grandchild.