Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, July 23, 2020

Donation Time again, and a Birthday

It was time to do another donation drop off to Foster Hope, the charity who strives to make things easier for children in care.   My ‘just finished” crazy cat draw string bag was added to the other bags previously made.  These are used as toilet bags or to hold pens, pencils or other treasures.  I like to make some for boys as well, and had stitched a couple in plaid fabrics.  Also included were four little baby hats I had recently finished.

P1000209P1000227
Draw string bags and baby hats

It was time to say goodbye to my neutral strings single bed quilt, set with turquoise, which really brightens the pale blocks up, I think.  Backed with a floral flannel so will be nice and cozy in these cold winter nights for a child.

P1340583
Neutral strings quilt

We set off today to Silverstream, Upper Hutt for our monthly outing to meet with a group of friends – sadly two of our friends couldn’t be with us.  The big occasion was to help Helen celebrate her recent 80th Birthday.    Six of us had a great lunch out at a local restaurant, then back to Helen and Calvin’s home for coffee/tea and Black Forest Birthday Cake, so yummy.

P1000241
Happy Birthday Helen – blowing out the candles

9 comments:

Maria said...

You made some beautiful bags, Quilt and beanies for some little folk in need.well done Jenny.
Sounds like a lovely outing and visit for Helens BD . The cake looks yummy.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you had a good day out with friends!

Julierose said...

Lovely donations--I'll bet they will just love those drawstring bags..
Oooh Black Forest cake--how delish Hugs, Julierose

FlourishingPalms said...

I think it's wonderful that you make to donate. What a great win for you - to have something to work on - and for the kids - something worthwhile for them to use. Perfect! I'm so happy you're able to get out and be with other people. It's so hard for us to imagine living a normal life again. Maybe in 2021?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I think the latest Sew Wot stitching was one of the best I've seen, Jenny. Great items for show and tell. I'm partial to that hanging with the doilies incorporated and also seeing the embroidered things.
Your Neutral Strings is a wonderful quilt for someone lucky!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Lovely donations! How I miss getting together for parties and going out to eat in a restaurant - COVID cases are surging in my area and I don’t feel comfortable being in an enclosed area even with a mask on. I did join a friend on her patio last night for a chat while social distancing.

Jackie said...

The donations are wonderful. I love the quilt.

God bless.

Karen S said...

That is a wonderful collection of donation items. Well done.
And birthday cake --- yum!

Janice said...

I’m sure your donation items will be much appreciated. The cake looks scrummy.