Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, July 16, 2020

It’s not always easy being blue

Sometimes things just don't work out nicely, do they?  Although I’ve been sewing for ages, I’m not really an expert, by any means. This week I’ve been working on a “secret” gift project and have had a few hiccups  along the way.  This gift involves a little stitchery, some applique, and piecing.  I was asked to make the gift in blue, not a problem, as I have plenty of blue fabrics, some smaller than others, and I was looking for a half yard cut, or something similar.

P1000203
Ready to start the secret gift

Over the last few afternoons it’s been one step forward and two steps back.  First I did the small stitchery, looked at it and thought, “I don’t like that” so unpicked it and started again.  Then the applique – cut out but not pressed down, fortunately -  too small, doesn't  look right, I decided.  So I tried again, and spent some time today at the sewing machine button hole stitching  the applique in place.  That was enough for today, I need a bit of time out, so I’ll get back to this project tomorrow.

The other blue project this week which has been a little difficult for me is a pair of blue socks, knitted on two needles.  I took a class with the local quilt shop a year or so ago, and obviously didn’t keep up. Reading the pattern, and looking at the sock, I had no idea where I was up to.  Luckily the LQS has regular knitting mornings so I went along and shop owner Robyn kindly put me on the right track.  There was a small group of lovely ladies, all regulars, so I thought it might be nice to attend the knitting mornings occasionally too.  That would surely move my knitting projects along.  One of the ladies was knitting a sock with five needles, I was most impressed with that, I thought knitters used four of those little pointy needles!  Can’t cope with four needles myself, so I’m pleased the class showed how to knit socks on two needles.

P1000205
   Blue socks. 

So that’s what I’ve been doing this week, working with blue fabric and wool. I’ll keep plodding on, and hopefully the secret gift will be finished this week.  Not sure about that sock, though. 

11 comments:

Maria said...

Sometimes things just go wrong, I know as it often happens to me.. I'm sure your gift will be lovely when finished...
Don't think I could knit socks with and four needles I just drop all the stitches. Never seen anyone knit on five ?

Maria said...

Oh nor could I knit socks on two...

Kim said...

We all have days where what we are making never seems to pan out right. I like the look of those socks. It will be fabulous to join in that the knitting group. There is nothing quite as cheery as creating and chatting to like minded ladies.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I thought socks were done on 3-4 needles or a circular - I hadn't heard of being done on 2 or even 5! 5 would be a bit much to handle I would think LOL - I haven't even started to figure out my first pair that I would do on circular

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm sure sorry to know you've been "blue." (giggle) But I know what you mean about some things just not going the way you think they should. Good for you to make the stitchery "just right." And I admire you for even attempting to make socks! A friend started me at knitting on a sock with three needles (!) in 2014. That partially-finished sock is still in the same condition. For one thing, who needs to wear socks in Florida?! For another... I'd be like you and have no clue where to begin again, but also don't have a place to go for help (at the moment). Keep plugging away.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Blue is by far my favorite color. I love the knit fabric of your sock: the two wools look great together. I have double point needles but I rarely use them for knitting socks. I prefer to use two circular needles for sock knitting.

Frances Leate said...

I often find things don't always go according to plan when I am making something for another person. I was a very keen knitter before moving from Sydney to the tropics and always found it helped to have a little notebook with the project and wrote down each row as I went. This made it easier to pick up a UFO and easily get underway again. For something like socks I would just have to put a cross through the rows when I got to the other sock. Just something that I found helped me. Take care.

Jackie said...

Gorgeous blues.

God bless.

Unknown said...

Jenny, circular needles are the way to go for socks - much easier than 4 or 5 pointy sticks!

Karen S said...

I hope you are able to solve your problems with the gift project. And it looks like you have already found help with the socks.

Janice said...

I’m sure you will get your blue projects done. As long as they don’t leave you feeling blue.