Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, July 3, 2020

Brr, its cold outside

Yes, it’s cold, but it is winter, after all.  We've had days of chilly temperatures, the sort of damp cold that seems to get into your bones.  Thanks goodness, as retirees, we don’t have to wait in the cold these dark, dank winter mornings to do the daily commute – those days are over.  Being winter, I changed the covers on our recliner chairs, replacing the lighter summer ones with what I call our “Polar Bear” covers.  Nice and extra snuggly to sit in.

P1000122

Yes, that’s my knitting on the chair.  Perhaps you noticed that it is a different knitting project than the one I had in the car recently.  That’s because, just like my stitching, I tend to have more than one project on the go at any time, so that’s probably why I’m such a slow knitter.

Gemma has taken to curling up on the sofa in the evenings. No doubt because she is in the direct line of the warm air blowing out from the wall mounted heat pump opposite.  Cats certainly look out for their comfort, don't they.  Here she is, perfectly comfortable, thank you very much.

P1000121
Nice and cozy

The reason it is so cold is because we have snow on the Tararua Ranges behind us.  In fact, there has been  snow over much of the country, great news for the ski fields.  We very seldom get snow on the ground where we live, just on the  hill tops.

P1000137
Snow on the Tararua Ranges

It’s been a non sew sort of week while I've been waiting to welcome my sewing machine back from it’s annual service.  As soon as the RSC colour for July was announced,(dark blue) I’ve cut out and pinned my blocks, so I’m good to go with that.  And I’ve trimmed down the Boy’s Coins block strips, so I’ll get on to finishing them sometime soon.  These have all been stitched in mostly greens, browns, creams, all found in my scrap bag.  The strips never seem to reduce, and it’s a bit like getting something for nothing, isn't it.

P1000124
Boys Coins

Hurray, it’s Friday today, and Barry kindly offered to deliver my sewing machine here to me at home, how’s that for service.  According to his report, my machine has done 6.5million stitches, that’s an awful lot of sewing!  And as I suspected, I had forgotten  to take in in for a service last year – I usually do it annually so goodness knows how I forgot.  Gemma had to give the bag a good sniff test to make sure everything was OK.

P1000144
Sewing machine home at last

So what shall I sew first?  Perhaps something on one of my RSC projects, since I have them all ready to go.

8 comments:

Nancy J said...

I found my report from 2014, and the stitch count was just under 4 million.Guess it has crept up since then. Love your view of the snow, it's been mighty cold here too.

Janice said...

It sounds like you are all settled in nicely for the cold weather. The snow capped mountains are a gorgeous backdrop. Enjoy playing with you machine, now that it is home safe and sound.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

do you ever drive up into the mountains to see the snow close up? we used to do that years ago when we lived near mountains in Idaho - your chair looks nice and comfy

Julierose said...

"Phew" it's hot here--already 80 at 8 a.m....hot and humid have come to stay for a while over here...
I like your "coins" selections...definitely good for a boy's quilt...
Stay warm ~ ~ ~ hugs from the AC ~ ~ ~ Julierose

Jenny said...

Snow on the mountain ranges behind our home looks wonderful, but there are not any roads up there. We could drive up the Rimutaka Hill road to see snow at the top, and lots of families often do that. I remember the first time I got up close and personal with snow, I was about 15 and we, my boyfriend at the time, hiked up into the snow covered hills. So pretty, but so cold!
We don't get snow on the ground where we live here in New Zealand although some areas of the South Idland do in the winter. So we are not used to driving in snowy conditions, sometimes we have ice on the roads though.

Jackie said...

That snow covered mountain range is wonderful. What a lovely view.

God bless.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The recliner looks comfy and cozy. The wind coming off of snow-capped mountains can be bitter cold. Glad you can stay home and safe during the colder weather.

Karen S said...

The snow on the mountains looks lovely. No wonder it is cold!
Good to see you have plenty to do . I am pleased you have your machine back. I bet it went into action straight away.