Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, June 29, 2020

Home again

Our three week holiday ended with us attending a weekend rally at Masterton.  This was the first caravan club rally since the months of Lockdown, and it was great to meet up with everyone again.  The rain continued most of the weekend, making things rather wet underfoot, but didn’t really dampen our spirits at all.

P1000115
Mawley Park Motor Camp, Masterton

The days were fairly free, and several took the opportunity to have a nice lunch out downtown, while others did a grocery shop, all helping out the local economy. The usual club Morning Teas and 4zees took place, and in the evenings Dave had organised a few quizzes for us, to see how our brains survived lockdown. Robin and I did quite well in the general knowledge quiz, coming first equal with another couple!

There was a special occasion on Saturday morning when we had a Flag Breaking Ceremony, for our new club flag.  This had been ordered months ago, but going into lockdown slowed things down and the order was put on hold.  As our longest serving members, Eileen and Geoff were given the honour and asked to pull on the cord to unfurl the flag.

P1000112
Geoff, Eileen, and Selwyn with the new club flag

After rain showers on Sunday morning, the skies cleared and the sun came out, isn’t that usually the way when it is time to go home?    Then it was time to pack up and head for home, and I made sure I had some knitting ready to do on our journey home.  That’s if Gemma is snoozing on the back seat, it certainly doesn't work if she wants to climb on my lap.

P1000116
Maybe I’ll get a bit of knitting done

Now we are safely home, after traveling about 1800km during our time away, I can get back into my sewing again.  You may remember that I dropped my sewing machine off to Barry for a service when we started our trip.  As we didn’t come home via his town he is quite happy to drop it around to our home on Friday, when he is down this way.  How’s that for service!  I’m sure I've got things to potter around with and keep me busy till then.

While we were away, I replaced my camera, and luckily got it on sale, so that was good.  The poor thing had a hard life, got dropped several times and one of the dials came off, making life very difficult when I wanted to change the settings. My camera is in constant use, although my grand-daughters thinks it is terribly old fashioned.  “No one uses a camera these days, Nana”, they tell me, as they do clever things with their phones.  Well, I do, I tell them, I’m not much of a cell phone user.

P1340907
My new camera

9 comments:

Sue said...

The phone is great but I love our new camera, exactly the same as your new one. The zoom is great and perfect for bird shots. And if you like taking panoramic views it is brilliant on this camera. I am sure you will enjoy using it too!

Karen S said...

I am pleased to see you had a great trip.
And yes, I still use a camera, too. I seem to always get blurry pics with my phone.

Maria said...

You have bought the same camera as the one I have .... I like using mine but I also use my Iphone..
Shame you had so much rain but great you still had a good time.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I always used to use a camera but must admit I really got used to using the camera on my phone our last trip in Sept/Oct and I'm not even sure where I put the camera I haven't touched it in months - I do know my camera zooms in better for distance photos outside

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Welcome home! Cameras take much better photos than phones, in my opinion.

Janice said...

Your get together sounds wonderful, despite the inclement weather. The blue yarn is very pretty. Fancy you knitting in blue 😉. Your new camera should be great. I’ve had 2 of that brand an loved them. Mine have each been retired after getting dust or cat hair in the lens. Mind you, they were in constant use. My current one is a different brand and I don’t like it nearly as much, hence I don’t use it all that much. I now use my phone for most photos, but really miss the zooming capability of a real camera.

Jackie said...

Love your new camera!! That blue is just the perfect blue of the skies here in Saskatchewan. Hope you got to do a bit of knitting on the way home.

God bless.

FlourishingPalms said...

Good to hear you had a nice trip, and are happily at home again. Even better, than your sewing machine is being delivered to you! Wow. That would be a very happy service bonus indeed. I think it's wonderful that you bought a new camera. In February, I too bought a new one (a point-and-shoot Canon, my favorite brand), and don't feel old-fashioned at all. I use my cell phone all the time, but when it comes to picture-taking, the visual quality of a camera is MUCH better than that of a cell phone camera. In fact, yesterday, when my hubs was in a parking lot fender-bender (not his fault) we decided to take insurance photos with my Canon. They're simply higher quality. So you just inform those tech-savvy grandies that you KNOW why you're using a camera. :-) And keep taking great pictures.

ButterZ said...

It's hard to go from a camera to a phone but it does become more convenient