Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Taking Stock

I’ve just done a bit of a “stock take”  This came about because of a recent question I had from Janice who blogs at http://jannimary.blogspot.com/.  She wanted to know if the sampler quilt blocks I had just made into a top was my oldest UFO?  I knew there were a couple of other half done old projects still hanging about, so perhaps I should get them out of the crates and see exactly what I had.  This partially constructed Clamshell top is the oldest one.  I started it ages ago – so long back in the mists of time that I have forgotten when.  This is machine, not hand pieced and started in a class.

P1340756
Purple clamshells

I have taken part in numerous internet block swaps in earlier years, and these cat blocks date back to 2003.  I provided a choice of patterns with the request to use black homespun for the cats, and any color plain homespun for the backgrounds.
 
P1340757
Black cat swap blocks

And lastly, there is my paper pieced log cabin project, in burgundy and cream.  I really love this, and it will be for our bed.  I’m not sure of the date, but I know I brought it with me when we moved house, so it is probably 8-10 years old, I expect.  Most of the blocks are completed, and I’m part way through paper piecing the border blocks.   It looks like I have them organised into rows, so I’m a good way through this project.   Why did this one stall, I wonder?

P1340755
Burgundy and cream log cabin blocks

I enjoy doing stitcheries and have two in bags with the corresponding fabric to finish them off.  It wouldn’t take too much effort to complete these, I expect.  And they are not too old, I think I stitched them last year.

P1340752
Two little stitcheries

Then there are the Leaders and Enders projects.  I’m a real fan of this type of stitching and it seems to suit me very well – I always try to have some little bits and pieces ready to stitch along with whatever project I’m working on.  Once again, there was more here than I remembered.  I have only recently finished stitching the boy themed blocks, and the fabric squares all came from a bag of goodies dropped off from Jean.  And the coins for boys, (not trimmed to size as yet), was stitched from scraps in mostly greens, tans, cream, both of these will be for donation quilts.  I’m always happy to use up these bits and pieces of fabrics that have just been hanging about.  Then there are a pile of house blocks, I really enjoyed making them, and another pile of little tile blocks, both using scraps from 2 1/2 in strips.

P1340751P1340750
P1340753P1340754
Leader and Ender projects

And just to show that I can't really help myself, and there is really no hope for me, here is my next L&E project ready to go.  I have some little cat blocks and sashing all cut out ready to put under the needle as I stitch the next “real” project.  Leader and Ender sewing really seems like getting something for nothing to me.

P1340749
Next Leader and Ender project, all prepared

What else?  I found some star blocks, a bunch of HSTs, and two more sets of 9 patch blocks.  And then there are the “not yet started” projects, usually a pile of fabric put away with an illustration and the idea of starting it one day soon.  These probably don’t count as UFOs, but may well get added to my list one of these days.

Oh dear, seeing them all set out like this is a bit daunting.  I can either panic, or take things calmly, adding these projects to my List of Six as others get completed. I’m quite keen to get on with the log cabin, the boys blocks, and finish up the stitcheries fairly soon.  As I often tell Robin, I’ll never run out of things to do!  Do tell me that I’m not the only one out there with more projects than I know what to do with? 

8 comments:

Karen S said...

You have made quite a few interesting discoveries after venturing down that rabbit hole. It will be interesting to see what happens to them.

Julierose said...

Oh you are not alone in that for sure! I have a drawer-ful of unfinished projects; and a closet-ful of hanging "almost finished waiting to be bound" pieces...I was just saying to myself (for the um-teenth time!) that I shouldn't begin any new works until I finish up those.
It is hard to stick to that rule when you are presented daily with imaginative and lovely works all over blogland, isn't it?
Good luck with your leader-ender projects. Love those little kitty picture blocks...
Hugs from afar Julierose

Lyndsey said...

Don't panic Jenny, there are lots of us with a ridiculous number of projects. I panic if I haven't got a lot of things to work on. Those are great projects to have available to work on.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really like those log cabin blocks what size are those?

nestki said...

There are at least two of us!

ButterZ said...

Those cat leader and Enders could help finish the appliqué cat blocks. You could use them in a quilt together....

Jackie said...

Lots of unfinished projects here as well. I thought I could get them completed while in lockdown, but started new ones instead.

Love the clamshells and I hope you get that one finished as I would really like to see the end result.

God bless.

Janice said...

Oh dear! What have I made you do? I have some very old UFOs too, although I have been getting some finished, which is a good feeling. I think I have more USOs (Unstarted Objects), as, like you, I get the fabric and an idea or a kit, and won’t let myself start it until I finish something.......so there they sit.....I look at them as long term investments. Once I started a Leader and Ender project earlier this year I am a convert, but I need to get a new one cut. I think my new Trail Mix should be a good candidate. You cat blocks for your next one are rather cute. Good luck on working through your collection, as you have some lovely projects there.