Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, June 8, 2020

Off on a Road Trip

After three long months at home it was time to pack the caravan and get traveling.  We are off on a road trip again.  Three weeks away - how exciting!  I made sure to put nice cozy fleecy sheets on the bed before we left home – our last trip away was in summer but things are so much cooler now.

P1340763

And since we are off on holiday, it seemed the ideal time for my hard working sewing machine to get some TLC.  We called in to see the wonderful  technician Barry who will give her a good clean and service while we are away.  Poor Barry is overrun with sewing machines at the moment after having none to work on during Lockdown.  All the ladies who were sewing up a storm during these months at home, myself included, have decided it is now time for their machines to be serviced too.

P1340772
Going to visit Barry

After a lunch stop at Taihape, we then traveled on along the Desert Road.  Not much chance of seeing “my” mountain, I expected, with rain and low cloud around.  But there it is, at least part of it.  I never tire of seeing majestic Mt Ruapehu when we pass along this road.

P1340804
Mt Ruapehu

We are staying the night at Turangi Holiday Park.  Turangi is a small town on the west bank of the Tongariro River, built to accommodate the workers associated with the Tongariro hydro-electric power development project and their families.  Many of the single men were housed in over 400 small huts, some of which are still on site here at the camp.  It would have been a cold and miserable place to stay in these small uninsulated buildings over winter, I imagine.

P1340815
A few of the remaining huts for single men during the project

We are much more comfortable in our caravan, parked up on power, diesel heater keeping us warm, nicely insulated, all facilities we need on board. The temperature is sure to drop right down overnight, but we should be nice and cozy.

P1340810
Staying the night in Turangi
I’ve packed my knitting bag and I’ve a stitchery too which I hope to work on while we are away.  Nothing to show today of course, but I thought readers might be interested in this photo.  We attended a caravan club meeting last week at Barry and Dianne’s home.  They asked me if I would like to see the quilt I had offered them last year.  This was made for my son’s 40th birthday some time ago and features musical fabric which is his passion.  Michael decided he didn’t really want it so I offered it to Barry who is also very musical.  Here it is on the bed in their guest room, I’m so pleased it has a home.
P1340758
Music in the Stars quilt, now happily rehomed

9 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I am very envious of your road trip. John and I had a holiday booked in April and a couple of weekends away in May but they never happened due to lock-down. Kathryn should have been getting married next month but that was cancelled as well. We have a weekend away booked in September but not sure if that will happen.

Enjoy your time away and I know you will be very thankful that your government and the people of New Zealand took the threat of the pandemic so seriously. It's great that the country is now virus free. Wish I was able to say the same about UK

Love the quilt.

Maria said...

enjoy your travels and the machine will be ready for you to sew again on your return..
Lovely quilt and so glad it has a nice home...

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilt looks lovely on the bed! it must be so great to be out traveling. I wish we could but it will be next year before we venture out with ours - there is just too much uncertainty in the states right now to think of it - the virus cases are rising in so many states - we wouldn't want to be somewhere a distance from home and up sick or needing to quarantine in a small camper - have fun!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The single cabins are quite tiny! I can imagine how cold they would be without insulation. Safe travels

Sarah said...

I'm very envious of you getting away in your caravan! No travelling for us yet in the motorhome. I don't know why but your pictures never load on my iPad which is a shame. Safe travels.

Jackie said...

Enjoy your road trip.

God bless.

Connie said...

I am so happy that the two of you are off on another trip . . . enjoy these retirement years. Every day is a blessing. God bless you both and safe and cheerful travels.

Karen S said...

Have a wonderful time away. The cold weather shouldn't stop you having a great time.
Lovely to see your quilt finding a home.

Janice said...

How good to be on the road again. We don’t exactly rough it, do we. I’m glad you were able to see your quilt being used and you will be able to sew up a storm on your return home with your freshly serviced machine.