Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, June 6, 2020

Pink and Red

There was more pink sewing for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this week.  Three pretty pink butterflies made their appearance, although I’m sure they were not too impressed with the cold wet winter weather we have been experiencing lately.

P1340746
Three pink butterflies

They fluttered off and soon settled down with the their friends.  Did you know that a group of butterflies  is called a "swarm", "rabble", "kaleidoscope" or "flutter" of butterflies!  A flutter of butterflies certainly seems to describe them best, I think.

P1340747
My flutter of butterflies

My second bit of RSC sewing this week was checkerboard blocks.  As these will be made into a boy’s donation quilt I did not want to use pink, but chose some brick red squares instead.  If red is chosen for RSC  later in the year, I can use brighter or deeper red then.

P1340742
Checkerboard blocks

It’s always fun stitching the RSC blocks each month, then just as much fun to check out all the other beautiful blocks which appear in the Linky party.


14 comments:

Julierose said...

Really pretty butterflies...nice collection you've got going there...
hugs from afar, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I always think it is harder to make a quilt for a boy than a girl, colors, patterns - so many are more "girly" the red and gray should be good

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love those butterflies such a pretty group of them you have there!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The Flutter will make a cheerful quilt. Of all of your on-going projects, I love the cat blocks and the butterflies.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Love your butterfly blocks! I had no idea a group of butterflies could have so many names. I think I'll call them a "flutter" or a "kaleidoscope". I really like your checkerboard boy blocks, too. I try to make both boy and girl quilts for donations, and this block would work either way, depending on the colors.

Cathy said...

Good thinking on the checkerboard blocks for boys! It’s so easy for us as quilters to gravitate to the girly fabrics. I’m going to have to make more gender-neutral donation quilts too (but not during the RSC’s pink June!). Your butterfly blocks are delightful, Jenny. Hugs to you all (and Emma too).

Maria said...

Pretty Pink Butterflies and they are looking good together..
The red blocks will be a much better choice for a biys quilt..

Kathy S. said...

Love the butterflies. It reminds me of a quilt my grandmother made for me in the 60's or 70's. The red checkerboard pattern is perfect for a donation quilt. Great job, quilt on.

The Joyful Quilter said...

PINK Butterfly blocks for the RSC and a substitution with the Checkerboard blocks, all turned out SEW well!!

loulee said...

Your butterflies look good all together like that.
I didn't sew mine yet, but have them cut ready to go.

Cathy said...

Oh, yes...I've always called a group of butterflies a kaleidoscope. I've been trying to attract kaleidoscopes of butterflies to my gardens. And in addition I'll enjoy seeing your flutters every month.

Getting cold there but getting hot here!

Jackie said...

So very nice.

I love the butterflies, the colours are perfect.

God bless.

Karen S said...

More gorgeous butterflies. All your blocks are looking great.

Janice said...

Well done on getting your blocks done so quickly. Your “flutter” is looking rather colourful now.