Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, March 2, 2020

Stitching and Sightseeing

It’s been a busy old time away on holiday over the last couple of weeks and I’ve done a little stitching in between travel and sightseeing.  One of the items I’m working on is a stitchery, a cute little teddy bear which will eventually become a cot quilt.  I have done the teddy so far, and still have to stitch the surrounding flower garlands.  I’m ever hopeful that my grand-daughters will give us a great grandchild one day, guess I’ll just have to be patient and wait.

P1330697
Cute little teddy bear

I’ve also done a smidgeon of big stitch hand quilting on my New Zealand Botanical quilt.  I’m getting there slowly on this one.

P1340157
Just a little more done on this

So what have we been doing on our holiday?  Spent several days at the beach side camp at Kairakau.  Toilets, showers, a hall to gather in, and most welcome to the ladies, a washing machine was available to do the never ending laundry chores.  The beach was beautiful, and the keen fishermen in our group gathered there every day, hoping to take the prize for the best catch.  Which, as it happened, was caught by one of our ladies, Helen and far surpassed any caught by the men!

P1330972
Keen fishermen at Kairakau Beach

Our ICA Rally Group was welcomed to Pukaha Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre by one of their dedicated staff members, and she also told us about the sanctuary and the work they do.  Mount Bruce reserve is a restored forest and captive breeding site, home to Manukura, the only white kiwi in captivity, and other endangered wildlife.   In 1962, the centre was established to breed and release endangered native birds on these 55 hectares. Takahe (thought extinct, but rediscovered in Fiordland) were the first species introduced.   We were thrilled to spot a takahe having a nibble from the feeding station.

P1340109
An endangered takahe

Lurking alongside the path was a sculpture of a giant weta, thank goodness they don’t really grow this big!  They are not my favourite insect at all.  This creation was made of perforated stainless steel, and was donated in 2019 by the “Auckland Burners”.  The weta was designed and built in 2014 to take to the Burning Man Festival in Nevada.  Take my word for it, this weta is a monster!

P1340123
Giant weta sculpture

Eels – love them or hate them, we were there at feeding time.  These natives  were writhing around in a large mass waiting for their treat.  We were told of the amazing sea voyages they take, and also the fact that they breed only once, we didn’t know that.

P1340135

I’m not a fan of these slippery writhing creatures myself, (except to eat them smoked, but don’t tell the eels that) but a member of the public happily donned wet weather gear and climbed into the stream to help the staff member feed them with spoonful's of tasty eel lunch.  Rather him than me, they curled all around his legs and feet, getting more and more excited as their food arrived.  Amazingly, they reach up and feed off the large spoon.

P1340129P2291504
Feeding time for the eels.

Visiting the Kiwi House was much nicer, and we got to see Manukura, the only white kiwi in captivity.  This beautiful girl is not albino, both parents were brown kiwi and carried the gene to produce a white chick.  The kiwi is a nocturnal bird so the Kiwi House is kept in semi darkness to mimic night time, so no photos possible.  Luckily Manukura is also a postcard girl, and I got her photo from that.  The kiwi is the national bird of New Zealand.

P1340145
Manukura, the white kiwi

P1340146
, White kiwi with the usual brown kiwi

Pukaha is a wonderful place to visit, for locals and visitors alike.  If you are planning to visit our country, do put put this place on your “must see” list.

13 comments:

CathieJ said...

What a sweet teddy bear stitchery. I can't wait to see what colors you use on the flower garlands. Your trip looks like fun although that bug sculpture would give me nightmares.

Janice Holton said...

I enjoyed getting a peak at some of the things we would see where you live!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never tried eel and don't intend to :) I love the large cute sculpture! Hurrah to Helen for getting the prize catch way to go!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your embroidered blocks in your quilt are quite lovely! I am still waiting for a great grandchild too, but there is plenty of time.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That looks like a most interesting place to visit, and so beautiful! Looks like you're enjoying some stitching, too!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Bravo, Helen! The white kiwi is gorgeous. What a treat to see her in person.

Kim said...

That is a sweet little teddy bear. Love too, the flowers that surround it. Your Botanicals quilt is looking beautiful. It will be spectacular when you have finished it. I have to say I am not a fan of eels either but the little Kiwis...love them. They are very similar to our Echidnas. I love seeing the odd Echidna going for a walk around here; they are so sweet. I must say, Jenny, you and your merry band of campers do have the best fun.

Jennie in GA said...

Sweet embroidered blocks will be a treasure to lie I wait for a great grand!

loulee said...

I would love to visit Pukaha, I will certainly add it to my list, esp if I get to see Kiwis.

Janice said...

The teddy is so cute. There’s quite a bit of stitching on that one. It should keep you amused for a while. Your quilting is progressing nicely.

Karen said...

The teddy bear embroidery is oh so cute. This looks like a stamped embroidery pattern. I recently purchased a vintage quilt kit that is cross stitch Baltimore style blocks but have done nothing with it.

Michelle Ridgway said...

A very cute teddy Jenny. What a beautiful reserve to visit and wow a white Kiwi! Nature is incredible! Thanks for sharing xx

Karen S said...

You have been in the middle of all the wildlife - real and otherwise! Lovely to see you fitting in a little stitching time too. The beach looked lovely.