Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, March 28, 2020

A Finish

I'm’ pleased to say that the horse panel quilt is finally finished.  I completed the simple walking foot machine quilting a day or so ago, then applied the binding – always like to have the binding made ahead of time.  Ooops, a case of the edge of the excess backing caught up and folded over, that needed a bit of unpicking and resewing.

P1340383

Then the  next day I sat and hand stitched the binding to the back of the quilt.  Luckily it was fine although a little breezy for an outside photo, but the Autumn weather is starting to get chilly now.

P1340392
All done

This single bed quilt was originally intended as a donation quilt, but I may change my mind and keep it in the meantime.  I sent a photo to the grand-daughters asking if they thought I should donate it or keep it for a future great-grandchild.  Interestingly enough, they both had different replies.  The younger one said I may as well donate it, and the older one said, please keep it!  So I’ll keep it for a while, and I guess by the time they finally produce a baby or two, I’ll have plenty of time to make more.

The Autumn weather here in New Zealand has started to cool down a bit.  Sitting outside to do a little stitching may well depend on just how cool and windy it gets,  and summer clothes are starting to be replaced by warmer ones.  Today it is cool and quite wet.  It is day three of our lock down self isolating period, and Gemma is self isolating too.  She is quite happy, her favourite hobby is looking out the big sitting room windows, her own reality TV set, she thinks.  She was getting vocal, making little chirruping noises as she watched the birds outside.

P1340394
There are birds out there

Over the last few days I have been trying out several new recipes.  Some I wont bother making again, but its good to try new ideas.  After discovering cooked pumpkin in the freezer yesterday, that is now turned into pumpkin soup in the crockpot for lunch – just the thing for a chilly day.  Stay warm, stay safe, and stay inside and stitch.

9 comments:

Janice said...

Gee, it turned out well. It doesn’t hurt to hang onto it for a while. After a couple of cooler days, this morning is glorious I may bring my machine outside and do some stitching. I think a few of us are making the most of home time. Mick has been playing in the garden. I have achieved all that much yet, but I look forward to lots of sewing.

Julierose said...

Such a lovely finish...I think it turned out beautifully...a keeper for sure
~ ~ ~ ~ waves from Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

cute quilt. I hope you all have better luck with the lock down then some of our states have had so far - here not an official lock down but please just go out if you need to - from what I hear a lot of people feel the urge to go to Wal-Mart and aren't standing 6 feet apart! Come on people obey the rules

Maria said...

The Horse quilt did turn out really lovely sew hang on to it for awhile and you may make another to either keep or donate...
Sitting here with preparation running down my back, had a few showers and now it's HUMID.. Yuk!!!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Your quilt has turned out beautifully.....home made soup sounds wonderful x

ButterZ said...

Your quilt looks great. Well done with the finish. I'm sure you will make plenty more quilts for the gg children to come.
Yummmm pumpkin soup. I make a Thai pumpkin soup. Hubby and I were only talking about it last night. Stay safe

Karen S said...

Well done getting the quilt finished. I am pleased one of the responses was to keep it.
I think we are having our last taste of Summer here. But the nights are cooling.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Homemade soup is perfect for chilly days.

Raewyn said...

Lovely finish! I like the setting you ave used for this quilt...it wouldn't hurt to stow it away for a while would it?