Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Selvedge Blocks for RSC

I really wasn’t going to make any more different blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, kindly organised by by Angela at So Scrappy.  But the  selvedge RSC quilt I made last year hardly made a dent in my bag stuffed full of these colourful little strips.  Tucked away with the selvedges was a bag pattern, so I thought, why not?  I had a bit of catching up to do but have now completed an orange, light and bright green and teal blue blocks.  Who would have thought I had so many orange selvedges, its not a colour I really use much.  But then I remembered, back in the past I used to attend a monthly stitching group and one of the ladies regularly handed me lots of selvedges.  This was easy, mindless sewing, and don't they look pretty!

P1340368
The start of a new bag

But wait – there’s more, as the TV commercials say.  I found this cute selvedge spool pattern on Lorna’s blog Sew Fresh Quilts.  You can find the post and free pattern here.  These cute little blocks with there selvedge spool tops and bottoms are 5 1/2in square and I will be making them into a wall hanging for my sewing room (spare bedroom).  So that’s two green, a teal blue and an orange all done.

P1340367
Spool blocks

So that’s me all caught up with my RSC blocks for March.  Wonder what the colour for April will be?  Now most of us are staying safe at home, there will be more time for sewing.

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love those selvage edges, I don't have many as I rarely buy yardage and so many fat quarters do not have them on. Love those blocks

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The spool blocks are adorable and will be great in a wall hanging.

Karen's Korner said...

You have caught up well. Pretty blocks.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your selvage string blocks! Can't wait to see the bag you're making out of them. Those spools are fun, too!

Cathy said...

I love your selvage blocks, Jenny. How clever to make something useful from them. We’re on lockdown too, although from reading your posts it appears that you have better and more consistent leadership than we here in the States do. Enough said. You and Robin (and Gemma too) take care and stay healthy!

ButterZ said...

Nice work. How will you sew your spools together so you don't lose the lovely selvedges in your seams. This is a great block for a miniature quilt.

loulee said...

You have some very nice blocks happening there.
I'll still have to work, but my days have been reduced, so more sewing time for me too. :-)

Karen S said...

You are getting carried away. The blocks look wonderful. I think the selvedge blocks are especially gorgeous!

The Joyful Quilter said...

The start of a new bag AND the lovely TEAL Spool made such good use of your scraps!

Julierose said...

Lovely blocks--those spools are so charming...nice work stay safe ~ ~ ~ ~waving
from afar julierose ;)))

Janice said...

Super cute. You caught up very easily for the month.

Maria said...

Oh WOW !! surprising what lovely blocks can be made for salvages....

Raewyn said...

Awesome scrap sewing Jenny! Those selvage blocks all look great and a wonderful way to sew away the days.