Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Horse Panel Quilt

This week I’m working on my Horse Panel quilt – the top was completed way back in August.   AS you probably know, I decided to finish off the three quilt tops I had stitched last year so I have a clean slate before I get back to “rolling the dice” again.  Two small quilts are now finished and this is number three, so I’m doing quite well.  And just to remind you, this is the quilt in question.

P1290105
Horse Panel quilt

I’ve had a busy time putting it all together.  Once again, my pieces of batting had to be joined in several places, but I’ve learnt my lesson, make a clean cut of the edges before zig zagging the pieces of batting together.  Otherwise it stitches up wavy, and has to be redone!  I always like plenty of safety pins to hold in all in place.

P1340329
Lots of safety pins

So far I’ve done some ditch stitch quilting around the stripes to hold it all securely.  Machine quilting is always a slow job for me, as I like to pin each quilting line, just to be sure that nothing shifts.  As it happened, I’ve already had to undo a little of the stitching as I found a couple of puckers on the back!  I’m making the most of the sunny Autumn weather, sitting outside under our Archgola while I pin up on the table.

P1340340
Even more pins

I’ll need to take a break from this as I want to get on with my final RSC block for March, which will be a teal and cream Colour Point Cat. 

The corona virus madness has finally caught up with us here in New Zealand.  Although so far our numbers are very low, a total of 20 confirmed cases, all overseas travel related.  All travelers, except for those coming from the Pacific Islands will have to self-isolate for 14 days, residents and visitors alike.  All cruise ships have been banned from our waters, overseas travel is not recommended, and mass gatherings are starting to be cancelled.  And on a shopping note, I was unable to buy flour today,  the shelves were bare, although toilet paper was available!

Keep safe everyone, and we can enjoy our self isolation with our sewing machines and hand stitching.

7 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This crazy panic buying is hitting everywhere. At first I thought maybe our local store could not get food for the shelves. One worker say no, they have stock but people buy as soon as the workers fill the shelves. Stores have taken to limiting hours they are open so that workers can restock shelves. I'm hoping I'll be able to get what we need this weekend.
xx, Carol

Julierose said...


I like your horse quilt--it will be a neat one!!
Yes, we are self-isolating here; people our ages are at high risk--we are pretty well
stocked up for food and paper supplies...
Stay safe hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

our stores go from one day not having quite a few things to 3 days later having those things but not of ten others. I now have enough for a month if need be and after I pick up my prescription today I will be good for staying home. Our state has been slow to get the virus but has 22 now and I'm sure that will go up - but hopefully as we do not have many large cities in our state it won't spread as much - our governor took early measures and many things are closed.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I use a lot of pins when I sew, too. In the long run it saves time and frustration. As recommended by the government, I have been self-isolation which is perfectly fine with me. I’ve got a stocked pantry and many projects so I don’t need to go out. I try to take a short walk every day for fresh air.

Nancy J said...

Hmmm, I stocked up on all types of flour and the last jar of yeast on the shelf . Just in case bread supplies dwindle. I hear there are another lot of positive cases, one in Rotorua, so that rules us out of a family visit there any time soon. Our GP on Tuesday said we can phone in for new scripts, rather than visit, unless it is urgent or something new. But I have plenty to go on with here, at the moment serving my apprenticeship in painting a shelf and wardrobe slats for inside the door frame. Love that panel, what a super one to be quilting.

Janice said...

Quilting is a great way to self isolate, if necessary. Aren’t we lucky to have this interest and a stash. Your quilt is coming together nicely. It won’t take long to finish now.

Maria said...

Yes I learnt the hard way to straighten edges of wadding before sewing them together too..
I like to pin lots as well. You've nearly caught up with the UFO list and can soon roll the dice again..