Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Sew Wot Tuesday

It’s been a while since I met up with the Sew Wot ladies, about six weeks.  That’s what happens when we have been galivanting around the country on a caravan trip.  So nice to catch up with everyone today, and Moira was the “hostess with the mostest” today.

Lots of great Show and Tell, including two finished Heart quilts which we are making, with the patterns provided by Mary.  Moira’s pretty Heart quilt was made in the muted “old rose” colours she loves, finished off with a gorgeous floral fabric on the back. 

P1340348
Moira’s Heart quilt

Heather had almost finished her Heart quilt, in fact, she was busy stitching down the border.  Same designs, but this one made in a softer colour range.  They are both lovely.  Sadly, my Heart quilt has stalled, I have all the block designs, and will get back to it sooner or later.

P1340354
Heather’s Heart quilt

Sandra had her class sample from a ruler workshop she had recently attended.  She had gone along to the class with her practice piece all layered up, and was shown how to do various designs with straight and curved rulers.  Although this technique seems effortless while watching quilting videos, I think it probably needs lots of practice to get to grips with it, it certainly would for me.

P1340350
Sandra’s ruler workshop piece

Mary was sorting through her UFOs at home and decided to use this pretty stitchery on the front of a draw string bag.  Lovely sentiments, just right for a stitcher.

P1340353
Mary’s pretty bag

Carol does a lot of stitcheries too, and brought along a little quilt incorporating Sun Bonnet Sue stitchery, so pretty.  This and another little quilt she brought along will be donated to the Wanganui Hospital Neo Natal Unit.

P1340351
Sun Bonnet Sue

Jenny N was  stitching together some lovely mohair crochet squares to make a cozy blanket.  This is quite a long winded project, she told us, and has been on the go for ages.  WE all wanted a touch, such beautiful soft wool in pretty shades. 

P1340356 
Jenny N’s beautiful blanket

And what was I doing in-between chatting and enjoying Morning Tea?  I had  taken along my butterfly blocks from the Rainbow Scrap Challenge to embroider the feelers on each one.  Didn’t quite finish each and every one during my morning out, but I’ve since sat and finished stitching them all.  And here they all are, they look a bit more finished now.

P1340358
My RSC butterfly blocks for January, February and March

And here is something rather special, this lovely Robin Red Breast was passed around our group and duly admired.  This gorgeous embroidery was loving stitched by her sister in England and sent out here to the colony.  What a lovely reminder of home for Moira.

P1340357
Embroidered Robin for Moira

So that’s what I got up to today, hopefully it won't be such a long time for me before the next Sew Wots get-together.

7 comments:

Maria said...

Great to get together again with your lovely Sew Wot friends ...
Lots of beautiful show and tell.
I would have lots of trouble sewing with the rulers too.
Your Butterfly blocks look gorgeous.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice quilts! I see your area is still not affected much with Covid-19 I hope it stays that way. we will not be traveling until the health of the country clears up so I should be getting done with plenty at home I think.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Oh my, the robin is gorgeous - such beautiful stitching!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Jenny, I think that Robin is a Nicola Jarvis design, one I've been tempted to order.That's the first time I've seen it crop up anywhere so a real treat.
What a treat too, to see all these projects. Always a fun post, Jenny.

Judith nb Serena said...

Beautiful stitching by all your Sew What group. It's lovely you can get together with like minded friends. I agree Granny Squares can be tedious to sew together particularly when there is a lot to be done, I tend to crochet them together.
Judith nb Serena

Michelle Ridgway said...

Loved seeing what you clever ladies have been up to. Your butterflies are going to make a gorgeous quilt. Moiras Robyn is exquisite xx

Janice said...

I always love seeing what the ladies have been up to. I do like the robin. Your butterflies are coming along nicely. I wonder what colour we have next month?