Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, October 3, 2020

Yellow for Spring

It’s Spring down here in New Zealand, my part of paradise.  So yellow seems a very Spring like colour to be stitching.  So what have I been doing?  More butterflies, a trio of yellow lovelies.  The two brighter yellow scraps certainly brought back memories, I had used them on family quilts quite some time ago, one for my son, and one for my grand-daughter.

P1000630

Three yellow butterflies

It was time for all the butterflies to get together for a “meet and mingle”.  I’ve made thirty, so I’m going to call it quits.  This should be enough for a girls quilt with sashing and borders, I think.  I’ll be mixing the colours up more when I come to assemble them.

P1000631

Thirty pretty butterflies.

It’s been fun choosing the fabrics each month for this RSC project.  “I’ve done my yellow butterflies”, I told Robin, but his response was to look at me blankly.  “You know, for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge”, I added.  Don't think he really cared that much, although he does know all about leader and ender sewing, he tells me.

There is a splash of yellow in our back garden, with our Kowhai tree covered in big fat yellow blossoms.  Sometimes the native tui birds come calling, as they love the nectar.  This lovely tree was a self sown seedling and traveled from our former garden in Upper Hutt when we moved here to Levin seven years ago.  It has grown big and strong and we love this native tree.

P1000523

P1000522

Kowhai tree in flower

Spring is also time for the clocks to be altered for Daylight Saving Time.  I love Daylight Saving and the longer evenings, when Summer arrives we will have those extra mild summer evenings  to enjoy outside.

22 comments:

ButterZ said...

I love daylight savings too. I can't wait for tomorrow to be here. Spring is beautiful

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yellow is very pretty for this months blocks

Julierose said...

Your butterflies look beautiful all together...nice work on these...
that is such a pretty tree--so colorful...enjoy your burgeoning Springtime...
Hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

Your butterflies are so cute, and they’re going to make a lovely girl’s quilt! Meet and mingle - that’s such a friendly way to describe their initial assembly! The kowhai tree seems so exotic to me as a non-native. It’s beautiful - and a perfect sign that spring has arrived. Enjoy!!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

❤️ the butterfly blocks - they look wonderful together and will surely delight a young lady. So unusual to see yellow flowers on a tree. Do they have a lovely smell?

Auntie Em said...

Such very pretty butterflies. Any girl would love to have that one!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Happy Spring! The yellow flowers are beautiful, what a wonderful tree. Your butterfly quilt is so cute. Happy stitching!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's so fun to see all your butterflies together! They're going to make a lovely quilt. And that's a really pretty tree, with the yellow flowers, too!

LA Paylor said...

I LOVE your flutterbys

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Happy springtime, Jenny! Your butterflies will make a lovely quilt. Thanks for showing us your tree in flower. It is simply amazing.

Jackie said...

Nice!! Love all those colours in the blocks.

I started your trick of rolling the dice and by tomorrow should finish one of the projects on my list. The beeswax wraps for myself and to give as gifts to the sons. Today I cut them out, and grated beeswax. Tomorrow will be the finishing touches, or at least I hope.

God bless.

grammajudyb said...

Oh it will be fun to see all your butterflies flirting all together! Some lucky girl will love it!

Kim said...

Your lovely Kowhai tree with the pretty yellow flowers certainly shouts Spring! Love all your pretty butterflies. How beautiful they look all grouped together.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Lovely to see your butterflies mixing and mingling on a spring day! Fall is in full gear here...we have yellow leaves on some of the trees, not yellow flowers. Your yellow flowers are a beautiful sign of spring

Karen S said...

The yellow butterflies have added a great touch to your layout.
It will look great as a quilt.

Faye said...

lovely butterflies. How nice to be heading into spring. My favourite time of year.

Sandra Walker said...

Your butterfly blocks are so pretty! And so is the Kowhai tree! Reminds me of the Tabebuia trees in spring we'd see in southern Florida. :-)

Maria said...

Yellow was just what we needed this month.... will go hunting for some fabrics in my stash for my Sisters...
Pretty flowers on the Kowhai Tree...

Katie Z. said...

Your yellows are beautiful!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing those YELLOW blocks for your Butterfly quilt, Jenny! They look to be enjoying the "meet and mingle'. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you will proceed.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Your butterflies are gorgeous! So is that beautiful tree xx

Susie H said...

So much yellow to enjoy here. The butterflies are sweet and the tree is gorgeous. How nice - a "free" tree!