Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Birthday Month

I blame my daughter Nicky – she is a great believer in having a month of birthday celebrations, rather than just celebrate on the actual day.  I’m not quite as bad as that, although so far I have had two birthday get-togethers.  Earlier last week  two friends and I went out to a local café for lunch, and very nice it was too, some nice “girl time” together.

Then on Friday we met up with a group of friends.  As a group we have been meeting up monthly for absolutely ages, about 30 years, believe it or not, and each month one of us plans an outing.  Sadly, some of the original members have passed on, although some newer friends have since joined us.  In the early years we were quite active, did a lot of walking up hills and down dale, along the coastline, visited museums, exhibitions and gardens.  Over the years we have slowed down a lot, and several have mobility problems.  So instead, these days we do lunch. 

October was my month to organise something, and I decided on a lunch at The George. Non of our guests had dined here before, nor even Robin.  Although I had been here previously for lunch and morning tea with ladies groups. 

P1000701 

Our table at The George

We soon settled down to peruse the menu and make our choices.  I enjoyed my Seafood Pasta, and Robin had a nice steak, while a couple of the others chose from the cabinet food.  I’m always amazed that the staff take photos so willingly, guess it’s all part of their training and service, to keep the customers happy.  I really do appreciate it, as most go out of their way to snap several photos from different angles so graciously.

P1000702

We were a slightly smaller group this time, as one couple had a previous commitment.  But still good fun, good food and good company.  After a drive around the grounds to see the huge amount of building taking place in this Retirement Village, everyone met back at Villa 50 for coffee and cake.

Cutting the Cake 2


P1000705

Carrot Cake

Poor Gemma nearly came to grief when we were enjoying  our coffee and cake.  One of our guests had been to the bathroom, come out and shut the door closed.  Which meant that Gemma couldn’t access her dirt box – no wonder she was running to and fro and getting agitated.  Catastrophe finally averted, but we will have to remember the door issue next time we have visitors.

My actual birthday is on Friday, when we will be away at a Caravan Club Rally for the weekend.  I’m planning to purchase another cake to share with everyone.  Then the following weekend we are having a small family lunch out at another local café, and there will be yet another cake involved.  Nothing wrong with that, is there.  After all, it is a reasonably big birthday to celebrate!

13 comments:

loulee said...

Nothing wrong at all with lots and lots of cake. Especially as it is your birth month. LOL

Have a very happy birthday enjoy the rest of your month.

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday Jenny enjoy your birthday month. I enjoy reading your blog and keeping up with your happeningm

ButterZ said...

so amazing. I say get as much celebration as you can. Enjoy every group that wants to celebrate with you. Happy birthday to you

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nothing wrong with that indeed - who can pass up a good cake!! you are making me think cake now and I want to bake one and enjoy!! Happy Birthday and so nice that you can have several celebrations it is so nice that at least one country in this world of virus is free and happy

Julierose said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you--good for you doing these celebrational events!! I agree with Nicky--a whole month is not too much at all;)) I will co-opt that idea next May hahaha
Great photos too; hugs and best wishes, Julierose

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Happy Birthday. Mine was on the 14th. I especially like being a Libra and October is my very favorite month. Must be the witch in me. I think a month of celebration and multiple get togethers is wonderful, especially as we grow older. I turned 69 going on 29. Sadly there was not much celebrating due to the Covid Virus here in the USA. My husband's health is so compromised that we gladly stay on this mountain away from strangers. But you still have plenty of time to celebrate before the end of the month!
xx, Carol

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Happy Birthday! I love the idea of celebrating more than once - I hope you enjoy every cake like it was the first.

Lyndsey said...

Just how a birthday should be celebrated, good company and lots of cake. Even better when the celebrations go on over several days or weeks. I like your daughters thinking on a birthday month and so I will start celebrating my birthday next month to get the full time since we declare the Christmas season open the day after my birthday. Happy birthday Jenny.

FlourishingPalms said...

It's great to see how you celebrate birthdays among your friends! We've never been in a group like yours, nor celebrated birthdays with others, so this is unusual to me. But it looks fun! Even carrot cake, which I'm not very fond of, looks good! No doubt your birthday will be another eventful day, and I hope you have a wonderful time. Everyone deserves to be treated special, and I hope you experience it too. Have a very happy birthday!

Connie said...

Happy birthday! I celebrated my 75th last month. I think it's wonderful that you have friends that you've been meeting with for over 30 years. Make new friends but keep the old for one is silver and the other is gold. Again happy birthday.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Happy birthday Jenny....a wonderful milestone that deserves celebrating in style AND there are never too many cakes lol! Enjoy your birthday on your trip away xx

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday month. I love the idea of small birthday get togethers throughout the month, and if cake is involved even better.

God bless.

Karen S said...

Happy Birthday to you.
I think it is lovely to have lots of celebrations and be able to share the time with family and friends. Very special!