Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, September 28, 2020

Roll the Dice and Family Get-together

It’s Monday, so that usually means its time to roll the dice to see what project I’ll be working on this week.  I have six projects listed so it’s always a surprise to see which number gets chosen.  And this week it is number three.

P1000609

Number three is on my List of Six as printed panels.  Yes, panels plural, so I had to choose one of the two.  I’ve got a horse panel, and a boy’s rugby panel in the bag.  As I had stitched a horse panel quilt earlier this year,  I decided to go with the rugby panel.  Which incidentally, I purchased on sale for only $5, and decided it would be ideal for a boy’s donation quilt.  The game of rugby is the most popular winter sport here in New Zealand, and many youngsters aspire to becoming one of the mighty All Blacks, our national rugby team.

P1000608

Rugby Panel

As printed panels are never quite big enough, I’ll be adding borders to increase the size.  That will keep me busy over the next few days while I work out exactly what to do.

We had a family get-together over the weekend, on Robin’s side of the family.  We were camping in our caravan not too far away in Foxton.  His sister Kaye and her hubby, who live in the South Island, had been on holiday further north and were starting on their journey home.  A couple of phone calls later we had arranged a lunch date with them, plus Robin’s other brother Gary and his wife, who drove up from Levin.  We met for lunch at the Dutch Oven café, and had a nice meal and catch-up.

P1000605

Robin, Kaye, her husband Jan, and Gary

The  of Foxton has a strong Dutch connection and boasts a working windmill, used for grinding flour.   De Molen was completed and officially opened on 13th April 2003. Built to plans and specifications obtained from the Netherlands, it is a replica of a traditional 17th Century Dutch flour mill.

P1000591

The windmill – de Molen

8 comments:

Julierose said...

That Dutch windmill is so picturesque...
Neat panel that i am sure some boy will love...Looking forward to seeing what you make with it..hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so nice to see family when you are traveling and to be able to meet at an interesting place as well - I love seeing working windmills that are gristmills for making flour we have a couple hours away.

Janice said...

The quilt panel will be idea for a Kiwi boy. A great project to get under way. It was great that you were able to have a family lunch together.

Maria said...

The rugby panel will make a great boys quilt.. have fun adding borders.
How nice to be able to catch up with Robins siblings..
Great to see the Dutch name for the windmill,De Molen.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Panels make for quick and attractive quilts. This one will definitely appeal to a young man.

Jackie said...

Lovely panels and it will be the perfect boys quilt. I am going to try your dice trick in October. Though a few things might take longer than a week (some only a day).

God bless.

Karen S said...

Good luck with the panel. That looks like a good idea.
I am pleased you had a lovely family time together.

FlourishingPalms said...

Of course a boy would love a rugby quilt! Gosh, even my husband loves and watches rugby from here in the US! All Blacks; all the way! :-) I'm happy for you to be able to gather with family and friends whenever you wish. Everyone else in the world, including me, is completely jealous that you can do it! I miss hugs.