Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Roll the Dice again

It was time to roll the dice again on Monday – it’s always exciting to see what number comes up each time.  This week it was number one, working on my neutral strings blocks.  I’ve already made two quilts from these blocks already, and there are enough left over to make a cot quilt out of the remainder. I‘m planning on using a half yard piece of pink and gold patterned fabric with these blocks.  Let’s see what I come up with during the week.

P1000571

The last of my neutral string blocks

I did have a problem with the sewing machine yesterday.  Goodness knows what was wrong, but the machine was making a loud humming noise, that can’t be right, surely.  So I switched it off and on, no, that didn’t work.  I was worried that the machine would go “poof” and blow up under my hands!   In the end I left a message on Barry’s phone, he is the very helpful and friendly  sewing machine mechanic who recently did a service on my machine.   As it turned out, Barry was on holiday at Mt Cook,  in the South Island.  He suggested I check that the bobbin winder had not been moved to the “on position”.  Sure enough, that was the answer, my machine won’t blow up in my face after all.  I really appreciate his helpful advice, guess this problem must have happened to his clients before.

9 comments:

Maria said...

The string blocks with the pretty pink will make a cute Babar quilt...
Oh I know it's easy to bump the bobbin winder and not realise till it starts humming....
Great it wasn't anything serious...

Janice said...

What a relief with your machine. Now you can get on with your stitching.

Julierose said...

I think the pink/gold fabric will really go beautifully with the neutral ones...
Glad your machine is in working order and keeping quiet for you...
hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice that the sewing machine man could help you over the phone!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I had that problem yesterday with my machine, and it took me a bit to figure out what was wrong.

Katie said...

LOL! Sorry for laughing, but you've joined the bobbin winder club. We've all done it. :-D

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I'm still stitching neutrals together too Jenny. It's an old idea I have rattling around in my head. Meanwhile, nothing worse than machine problems but how wonderful to get it sorted like that. Also I wanted you to know I gave you a little shout out today on the blog. Take care now!

Jackie said...

Glad that your machine was not getting ready to blow up and it was an easy fix.

One of these years I may try to fashion a string block.

God bless.

FlourishingPalms said...

Love seeing what you're making each week, and those string blocks are great! I love making a string quilt from scraps. As for your machine... I've never forgotten the advice I received many years ago, from a sewing machine technician. He said that nine times out of ten, a sewing machine problem is operator error. I have a list of things I try before picking up the phone - you know: change the needle; rethread the machine; clean the feed dogs; oil the bobbin case base; etc. - and you know what? Nine times out of ten, the problem is fixable - operator error! :-)