Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, September 17, 2020

A new list, and rolling the dice

It’s taken me a while to get on to it, but I’ve finally organised a new List of Six projects for myself.  Some items are recurring, and there are a couple of new ones added.  This newly updated list contains:

1:  Strings blocks – still have enough of these to make another donation quilt.

2:  Pinwheel blocks, previously stitched together but I’ve come up with a Plan B now.

3:  Printed panels – I have two of these in the bag for another couple of donation quilts.

4:  Burgundy Log Cabin, first time on the list for this long winded UFO.

5:  House blocks, heaps of these made as Leaders and Enders some time ago.

6:  Boys Coins – another L&E project, waiting to be assembled.

P1000547

Six projects on my list

And as I usually do, I roll the dice to see which number project I will work on this week.  It doesn't have to be completed, and is often not, depending on the time I have available each week, what with appointments, outing, and sometimes caravan trips away.  But as long as it is worked on and progressed a little, I’m happy.

Number Two was the lucky project this week, the pinwheel blocks.  These were my traveling HST blocks which came along on our trip to UK in 2008 when I stitched up a bunch and took them along with my Pigma pen. Memory blocks they certainly are, as I got them signed at all the accommodation we stayed, trips we took, and places of interest we visited.   Originally I decided to use them as a quilt backing.

P1270784

Then I changed my mind and decided to make a table cloth instead, removing two of the rows which are now incorporated into the backing.  The first job was to get the layers were pinned on the outside table.

P1000535

Pinned up and ready to go

Then some stitch in the ditch around each pinwheel block to hold it all together.

P1000548

Gemma sometimes comes and joins me.  Here she is, focused on something, probably a bird I imagine, out the screen door.  I’m sure she is wishing that I would sometimes forget to close that dratted door, then she could show those birds just who is boss around here!

P1000526

There are birds out there!

It has been fun reading some of the writing on the pin wheel blocks.  The very first one I had done was “Bon Voyage” written by Petra, our travel agent.  It took us three flights to get to Singapore, and airline crew kindly wrote on my blocks, although I did wonder what they thought about it.  I had a block signed by a staff member at the Singapore Flyer – so new back then that our travel agent had not heard of it!  After several days in exotic Singapore, seeing as many sights as we could, we winged our way to London.

15 comments:

Maria said...

Great to see you have listed 6 projects again for Roll the Dice.
What fun playing with those siggie blocks ,reading them and bringing back lots of happy memories...

Karen's Korner said...

I bet it is fun working with those blocks. Many happy memories.

ButterZ said...

That is a great idea and to read them now would bring back so many memories.

Michelle Ridgway said...

A great list Jenny. Your quilt is beautiful and such a treasure trove of memories for you x

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jenny what a good way of tackling projects,looking forward to seeing you work on them,stay safe my friend xx

Julierose said...

That quilt with all the signatures is a wonderful memory album of your trip..it tis turning out so lovely...
Nice that people from all over signed it for you...hugs, julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is an interesting quilt! yes I suppose some thought it odd because they never heard of such a think as writing on fabric but for you it is such a memory! I will be starting to quilt on my signature quilt when Alaska is done and your signature is on that one - it was a fun quilt to make and to watch the mail for the blocks coming to me.

Lyndsey said...

What a great way to remember your trip and very pretty.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I loved visiting Singapore! It was decades ago, but I’d go back in a heartbeat.

FlourishingPalms said...

I still like your approach to working on projects. It's a happy surprise to see what comes up, right? Nice that you collected signatures on your HSTs so this quilt will hold special memories. It's always good to see what you're making.

Cheryll said...

I love that idea...and it will be a wonderful memory trip every time you use it.
Nice job...xox

Karen S said...

I agree. It must be fun taking a trip down memory lane!

Jackie said...

I think next month I am going to try your approach to projects. I need to get lots more done before Christmas as many of them are to be used as gifts.

Love the pinwheel quilt and the idea of getting them signed. I can just imagine the memories that it will bring back.

God bless.

Nancy said...

How interesting to have signatures of those you met on your flight to Singapore. A happy memory for you, I'm sure. The fabrics of those pinwheels look interesting -- not your common, everyday fabrics.
I like the plaid and striped bag in the upper center of your first photo. Did you make it?

Kate said...

Such a great idea to have made this signature quilt and ohhh, all those memories!