Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Binding and Pinwheel USA Highlights

This is always my favourite part of a project, sitting quietly somewhere while I hand stitch the binding down on my pinwheel quilt/tablecloth.  Slow stitching at its best.

P1000558

Finishing off the binding

It’s a nice sunny day today for an ourdoors photo shoot.

P1000565P1000566

Front and back

There, it’s done.  Let’s see what it looks like on the table.  We can check out the messages while we are sitting here.

P1000569

On the dining table

It’s fun to check out the messages on this.  We had a stop-over at New York on our return trip, the “city which never sleeps” is such an amazing place, but I’m sure you all know that.  Places we visited were Ground Zero, Times Square, Central Park, and we took a harbour trip and viewed Lady Liberty.  Then we boarded a coach for a a week long trip to Niagara Falls, (the falls were amazing) and invited all our fellow travelers to sign a block for me.  My pen friend Gail drove up from Orangeville, Canada to spend the day with us, it was so nice to meet up with her, and of course she signed a block too.  On our trip back we stopped at the such places as the Liberty Bell, Arlington National Cemetery, Lincoln Memorial, the Air and Space Museum, so we got a quick overview of USA history.  It was just a taste of this amazing country, but so very interesting.

P1000568

Our trip on the harbour

This project may well have taken quite some time to completion, and I am pleased I went with Plan B and turned the blocks into a tablecloth.  Now we can enjoy the signed blocks, a much better option than having them tucked away as a quilt backing.  But its finished now, and as everyone knows “good things take time”.

13 comments:

Kim said...

Isn't New York wild!! It has always been on the top of the list of my favourite places to visit and I must say when I visited NYC a couple of years I was not disappointed. LOVE NYC. Your Pinwheel quilt/tablecloth is gorgeous, Jenny. The back is fabulous, too. How fabulous this lovely quilt is always on display on your table and you can smile at the signed blocks and remember those precious memories.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I’m working on binding today too! What a great was to remember the places you went and the people you met on your trip! I live two hours west of Niagara Falls.

Maria said...

Just gorgeous and sew good to sit and read the blocks as you sit at the table ...

CathieJ said...

I am glad you enjoyed your trip to my country. What a great way to bring back memories with that wonderful tablecloth/quilt.

Deb A said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip! So many memories you will have when you look at the quilt. Thanks for letting me know about the no reply comments yesterday. Let's hope it is fixed today.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you probably have seen more of NYC then I ever have :) I have only been there one time on a very short visit - I tend to avoid large cities. Your quilt was well traveled!

Rose Marie said...

What a lovely way to bring back memories! Enjoy every day.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love this one on the table, Jenny. So neat to be able to enjoy reading the messages. Btw, I'll speak of my tiny triangles project soon with an update. Happy Stitching to you in your spring now!

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely quilt, and sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a fun memory of your trip, and the perfect spot to use it, too. We also took a trip to Niagara Falls a few years ago, and even though I had been there as a child, it was still amazing to visit!

Karen S said...

This is a great finish. Your quilt is wonderful.

Jackie said...

Perfect way to relive your memories each and every day.

God bless.

Janice said...

A great quilt of memories. A version of an "Eye Spy" as you read a different message each time.