Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, September 6, 2020

Blue Socks finally finished

Its taken me quite some time,but I’ve finally finished knitting my pair of blue socks.  These are knitted on two needles, and they came on a holiday in the caravan with me where I stitched the side seam up.

P1000509

My blue socks

I’m quite new to this sock knitting business and found the heels a bit of a challenge.  These were started in a class at my favourite quilt shop some time ago.  As I had long realised that I couldn’t cope with knitting on four sock needless, it seemed the ideal pattern for me.  Sewing up a side seam seemed a small price to pay.

IP1200192P1200189

Start of my sock knitting class

Our time spent  in Carterton was lovely, and we were joined by several other friends.  It’s always nice to share good company with like minded people isn’t it. 

P1000464

Staying at Carterton Holiday Park

Spring has sprung in my part of paradise, and as well as pretty daffodils popping up in the camp site gardens, and Spring blossoms on the trees,  we came across some new born lambs in the adjacent paddock.  Gemma came with me a short walk on her harness and lead but got rather upset when one on the ewes bleated her displeasure at seeing this feline so close by.  So it was a race back to the safely of the caravan for Gemma, well away from the protective new mother and baby.

P1000468

Mother ewe and her new lamb

Waking up to another  glorious day on Saturday, the suggestion was to go visit Mt Holdsworth and take a picnic lunch.  Great idea, we agreed, as none of us had been there for quite some time.  And just look at the views we got of the sun glistening on the snow topped Tararua Ranges.

P1000485

Such a lovely sight

Our small group found a nice grassy picnic area and sat out in the sunshine.  Out came the lunch boxes and the thermos and we were soon happily tucking in to a nice hot cuppa and sandwiches.  For the more energetic, there are many walking tracks available in this Department of Conservation Park, from short gentle walks up to much more rugged ones lasting several days.  Hunting by permit is allowed in the park, and back country huts high in the hills are available for hire for those on hunting trips.  We decided to take a short walk to the nearby river which we could hear tinkling away in the background.

P1000492

Waiohine River

Gemma like to help on with this blogging business, and makes sure the lap top bag will not escape while I’m sitting at the caravan table tapping away.

P1000510

Gemma thinks she is helping

Spring can be very fickle here, and on our last day away, the rain came down, and the wind rather rudely rattled the caravan overnight.  So much for Spring, it looks like Winter is not quite ready to depart, just yet.  Just as well I have a “just finished” pair of woolly socks to wear, I think!

21 comments:

Karen S said...

Well done on the sock finish!!!
And the scenery from your time away is delightful.

Maria said...

Great to have finished the sock... I wouldn't even try.
Gemma looks happier in the laptop bag then being out near the Sheep.
Some beautiful scenery on your trip.

Kim said...

Congratulations on finishing your blue socks. You do live in a beautiful part of the world with so many glorious places to visit in your van. 'Tis lovely you get to enjoy it with your group. How nice to picnic in the spring sunshine beside that tranquil river. Isn't spring wonderful.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great that you were able to finish the socks - the river area looks wonderful for a walk, and going into spring seems like it was just winter for you

Quilter Kathy said...

Great job on the sock! I really want to be a sock knitter but find it too hard. I'm practising on dishcloths and hope to work up to socks one day!
What beautiful scenery you were able to enjoy on your adventure!

Deb said...

Wonderful photos the views are so lovely, enjoy the spring time flies so quickly. Those socks are lovely.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Congratulations on the sock finish! I love the yarn you used. Lovely to see the lamb and the protective mama as well as the beautiful mountains.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful blue socks, congratulations on the finish!

CathieJ said...

I haven't tried sock knitting yet. I really like how those socks look. I love the color. Thank you for sharing those gorgeous scenery pictures. I can tell that the mamma sheep was bleating to protect her lambs. So cute. Enjoy the Spring weather. We are heading into Fall.

Deb A said...

What beautiful scenery you are able to enjoy! Congrats on the socks.... I really should find the one I started sometime and try it again. Gemma is doing such a great job making sure that case does not move =)

chrisknits said...

Lovely socks, gorgeous scenery, and adorable cat, all in one post!

Unknown said...

Hi Jenny! I don’t know if you received my email but we move in 2.5 weeks. So much news but at the moment I am exhausted. Covid is still a concern here but schools start back this week for the first time since March. I have been making masks, well over 300, ever since.

Hopefully this will reach you.

Gail

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your socks look good! I'd like to learn to knit socks - right now I'm on dishcloths. Your holiday looks like it was fun - glad you could enjoy friends and such beautiful scenery!

loulee said...

Those socks look cosy. Care to share pattern details?
Cats really are very helpful at holding things down for us. My bed would run away if Belle didn't pin it down while we are at work. LOL

Janice said...

It sounds like you timed your picnic perfectly. Spring is always somewhat fickle. We still keep our winter woollies close to hand for a couple of months yet. Your socks will keep you toes nice and toasty arm. Gemma is doing a great job of keeping your laptop bag under control. Cats are such a good “help”.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Very nice blue socks. I have not tackled socks yet, but hope to some day. Looks like a lovely holiday!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I'd love to knit socks, Jenny. Such a practical project but I need them more than you, I'm thinking! I liked that photo of the ewe with her young one. Thanks as always for showing us some of your wonderful holidays.

Preeti said...

Socks are tricky and the heels are the trickiest. Kudos to you for tackling a tough new project. The baby lamb is so cute. I am glad you had a lovely holiday. Stay safe.

Birthe Marie said...

The socks you have knitted are very nice.
It looks like you've had a wonderful week end in beautiful scenery. I'm sure it was nice to be on a picnic with such a nice view.:-)

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jenny well done with the socks. Well what lovely places you saw on your holiday,love the baby lamb picture,lol Gemma is so funny,hope you have a lovely day Jenny xx

Jackie said...

I think this might just be the same pattern I use for socks. When I used double points the stitches would always fall off. Love the colour of yours.

Beautiful pictures.

God bless.