Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, August 1, 2016

And the Dice rolls Five

This week, with the roll of the dice, it’s back to the black, grey and raspberry horse quilt.  (I really must think of a better name that that, I feel.) There is not a great deal more to do on the UFO, thank goodness.  Just the matter of finishing it off by attaching a plain black homespun border around the edges.  And of course, I have to carefully take several measurements, to ensure that I don’t end up with wavy borders.

P1010021
Border fabric cut ready and waiting

Its been a wet, miserable day here in my part of the world.  While those in the Northern Hemisphere are no doubt enjoying summer sunshine, it is mid winter here in New Zealand.  When the temperatures drop, I make soup for lunch, just can’t help myself.  And today’s lunch was thick and creamy Kumara Soup, with just a touch of curry, and quickly cooked in the microwave.  From one of my Alison Holst cookbooks, known as St Holst in our household, I’ll share the recipe.  If you don’t know what a kumara is, it’s a type of sweet potato, red skinned and golden flesh inside.

P1010020
Kumara soup
500gr kumara
50gr butter
2 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
1 cup boiling water
2 teaspoons chicken stock granules
2-3 cups milk

Peel kumara and slice thinly.  Place butter, garlic and curry powder in large casserole dish, cook on high  for 2 minutes or until bubbling.  Add slice kumara.  Cover and cook until kumara is tender, about 10 minutes or a little longer if necessary.  Add stock granules, puree and add 2 cups of milk.  Return mixture to casserole dish and reheat, adding more milk if desired.

4 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

I think that's my favourite soup. I'm glad you mentioned it. I think I see it on tomorrow's menu.

loulee said...

Love my Alison books. Your soup sound delicous, must make sure thats in one of my book.

Nancy J said...

Just yummy. I hear there was snow at Rotorua at the weekend, we have sunshine now, after rain again last night.

Jenny said...

Hi ladies - nothing beats home made soup on a cold wintry day, I always say!