Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, August 8, 2016

Just a quick Update

It’s been a while since I wrote about my “troubles”, so here is a quick update for all those readers who have been so supportive over the last few months.  I don’t want to dwell too much on health issues, (it’s more fun to talk about quilting, don’t you think) and it seems I’m on the home stretch now, as far as my treatment for breast cancer goes.

After waiting and waiting – these things take time and there is a due process to go through, I realise, I have now started my radiation treatment.  So off I go each day, with my little hospital bag packed.

P1010062
All set for another hospital visit

My lovely new bag was a gift from Jean who blogs as All Points of the Compass.  Inside is my hospital gown – I was given one on my first session and was told it is mine for the duration, to launder as required.  It didn’t have a belt, leaving me feeling  rather vulnerable, so I quickly stitched a length of tape on the back.  So much better, I can keep in closed now.  I also have to take my Patient ID Card, to prove that I am who I think I am.  There is also room in my bag for my library book, to help if appointments are running late.

There was heavy frost everywhere when I started my journey today, all over the ground, and on each roof in our village.  As we drove up the the hospital, the paddocks were a swathe of white frost.  It was a beautiful sunny day, and away in the distance I could see the top of Mt Ruapehu  – the conditions have to be crisp and clear to see the mountain that far away.  Too far away to try and take a clear photo, though.

P1010068
Frost on our roof at home

And for those who don’t know what a  Linear Accelerator looks like, I asked if I could take a photo.  My grand-daughters have no idea what happens and were concerned that I was feeling rather sad about it all – isn’t that sweet?  I’m sad because I got sick, I told them, but I’m really happy with all the health care I’m getting from the hospital. 

P1010036
Linear Accelerator ready for action

“I’ll take your photo”, one of the very helpful staff told me – there are three Radiation therapists working each machine.  “Do you want to get on the bed?”.  No thanks, just by the machine would be fine.  So here I am in my fetching blue gown.

P1010038

So that’s where I’m up to at this stage, and I’m travelling up to the hospital every day from Monday to Friday for three weeks.  Luckily they give me the weekends off for good behaviour.

I’m still planning on “rolling the dice” each week, although of course I won’t have the same amount of time available with the several hours taken out of my day with travelling for my treatment.  But I’ll get to check out which UFO is chosen each week, give it a pat or two, and see what I feel like doing in the available time.  Energy levels could well be down during this treatment so I’ll just have to take things one day at a time. 

I realise of course that some readers could well be going through something similar, or have a friend or family member touched by cancer.  So I do hope that I haven’t upset anyone with this post, that certainly wasn’t my intention.  I’m just trying to show how I’m coping, and to thank everyone for their ongoing support and kind messages.

15 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Thank you for sharing such a personal story. I'll be holding you in my thoughts.

Susan said...

All the best with the treatment. Be kind to yourself and listen to your body! If you feel tired you are tired, it is not your imagination and rest if you have to. It is your time, be strong for yourself, not for others - it is your turn to be looked after and allow others to be there for you. The time will go quickly. And get some E lotion from the hospital!!!!! Take care xx

HEATHER B said...

YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL. THE VERY BEST FOR YOUR RADIATION JOURNEY. FROM HEATHER B

Maria said...

Thinking of you Jenny.. Hope alls goes well with your treatment... Hugs MariA

Annette said...

Thanks for the update Jenny, don't push yourself, the dice & UFOs will await you. Take care xxxx

Katie said...

All the best for the days ahead. :-)

Lis Harwood said...

What an encouraging post, Jenny, taking some of the unknown and therefore the fear, out of radiation treatment. I should think you're very tired, going to hospital every day would do that, without the actual treatment! But what a treat to see Mount Ruapehu and that frost, a little glimmer of delightfulness to start your day. You are in our prayers, and look comfortable in that gown now it has a tie!

Nancy J said...

So good to get the inside photos, love that blue gown, a tie, wish they made that when they sewed them up, probably by the thousands. The bag, I had no idea it would so well travelled every week. M-F . Bio-oil, Linda's magic cream with that special ingredient, LOVE, or Vitamin E lotion, all will help, but the moistest...oops meant.. mostest.. of all these is love, and sending it in heaps. Another frost here today,not quite minus 1C, fires lit.

Jenny said...

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments, I appreciate them all.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Thank you Jenny for an insight into your treatment. Sending you healing thoughts and prayers for your complete recovery...hugs xxx

Janice said...

Thinking of you Jenny as you make this journey. Good on you for having such an upbeat and positive attitude to it all. Yes, we are lucky to have such wonderful medical support available.

Sandra said...

Thinking of you Jenny and send many positive healing thoughts to you during this part of the journey. Hugs from Friendly Feilding

NickiJ said...

You spend more time getting to and from the appointments than you do lying down! Take care of yourself with your skin. I lathered myself every night before going to bed with Aqueous cream to keep my skin subtle. Then during the day to keep the itches at bay(!) I put on Calednula ointment as you're not supposed to itch or rub...

Raewyn said...

I hope your week of treatment went ok and that you're having a nice weekend of relaxing and recovery. I admire you for your positive post and I hope things continue to be bright and cheery for you. Hugs.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Jenny, I think you are being a real inspiration. You are handling this process with grace and a sense of humour. I for one, found this post most interesting and believe your attitude is certainly an asset and will help carry you through the healing.