Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Almost there with the Horse Quilt

I’m really pleased with how the horse quilt I’m making as a surprise gift for my grand-daughter Emma is coming along.  The last rows of blocks have been stitched together and added to the top and bottom  of the quilt – two rows at each end.  And I can’t believe it – I’ve got a pile of nine patch blocks over!  Probably because I sewed and sewed like a quilter possessed when I started this project.  Guess I was afraid that I wouldn’t have enough.

P1000958 
Two rows of blocks added to top and bottom

There is lots of variety in the black and grey fabrics used in this quilt top.  Some lovely batiks, which are always so nice to work with.  Fabrics with writing, dots, spots and swirls, and I used up some pieces of a few older fabrics which got thrown in to the mix as well.  And I like the way that the raspberry sashing gives the sombre palette a bit of a lift. 

As I’ve used plain black homespun as the centre square of each nine patch block, I’ve decided to use this fabric to border the quilt.  So I will have to carefully measure the width and length to make sure the border fabric fits correctly.  Not sure if I will get this last step finished this weekend though.

We had a busy day out on Friday, had shopping and chores to do, driving around all over the place.  Then later in the day, when all the items were finally ticked off our long list, we stopped at Butlers Chocolate Café for a hot drink.  I chose a delicious cup of hot chocolate, of course, while Robin wanted coffee.  The attendant told me that each hot drink came with a complimentary chocolate and which ones would I like?  What a thing to ask me – someone who has trouble making a decision – procrastination should be my middle name!  After dithering around I finally made my choice.  Yes, could we have two double chocolate ones please.  Those little morsels were just divine, and a lovely finish to our busy day out.

P1000952
Get your chocolate fix here

6 comments:

loulee said...

Love your quilt, such a lovely colour combination. I made one similar some years ago.

Maria said...

I'm sure your granddaughter will love her beautiful quilt. You could use the extra blocks in the backing?

Trialuser said...

I like the color mixture and design. Another wonderful quilt from you dear Jernny. Judy in Kiel

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The black and white blocks with the raspberry sashing are a wonderful combination!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

The bright sashing was a brilliant choice. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap! I love it!!

Jenny said...

THank you ladies, I'm pleased with my choice of raspberry for the sashing too. Although grand-daughter Emma did actually ask for a black and grey quilt, I felt it needed a little touch of colour for a zing.