Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

I should be sewing

Today is another cold, damp day and the rain keeps coming down.  I should really be making the most of a day inside by sitting at sewing machine, but days like this bring on the urge to do some baking. The crock pot (slow cooker) has been simmering away all day, with beef and vegetables cooking nicely for dinner tonight.  After lunch I whipped up a batch of Anzac biscuits, and also made a spicy apple cake. This recipe has a nice crumble topping made from rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter and is so very tasty.   We will have some warm apple cake with whipped cream for dessert, and eat the rest as cake.  On second thoughts, since there are only two of us at home, I think I’ll freeze half of the cake for later consumption.  The lovely homely smell of baking fills the kitchen and Robin is suitably impressed with my efforts.
DSCF6485 Spicy Apple Cake and Anzac Biscuits
The birds are getting a little extra too as we have hung bird feeder up in a tree out in the back yard.  It doesn’t take long for the birds to find the feeder and we have been visited by greenfinches.  They land on the feeder and peck daintily at the wild bird seed through the openings.  I’ll have to make another “bird pudding” and hang it out now the weather is getting so much colder.
DSCF4102Looking after the birds
There is sure to be several rugby games on TV late this afternoon and in the evening,  I’m not really sporty so that will give me a chance to get a bit of sewing done.

4 comments:

Maria said...

Oh Yummy Jenny. I can smell them cooking now.

Love your birds.

Like you I am not a fan of sports on tele, so sewing is great.Enjoy.

June said...

I am really enjoying reading your blog Jenny, but seem to hit snags when I try to leave a comment - one more try! Please how do you make a 'bird pudding"?

Julie said...

I can almost smell the aroma from here!

FlourishingPalms said...

How I'd like to be in your kitchen now, though I too could do without the colder weather and rugby. But sewing.... now that sounds good. I've never eaten an ANZAC cookie. Do you have a recipe to share with us Yanks?