Today was a lazy Sunday at home, and after I had dealt with a few chores, I settled down with some slow stitching. It's been a while since I worked on my teddy bear cushion covers. It was nice to sit down and do some big stitch quilting around the bear, with a cuppa at hand. Luckily Gemma didn't want to jump up on my lap, there wouldn't have been much room for her as well. But she was quite happy having a nice comfy snoozy nap on the sofa. That cat certainly knows how to while away the hours while she is snoozing!
Teddy Bear cushion covers
Both of my adult children celebrated their birthdays this week. Son Michael lives in Christchurch, in the South Island, so I didn't see him, but had a nice telephone call to wish him happy birthday. My daughter Nicky takes the whole week off work for her birthday, good on her. I wouldn't have thought of that while I was working. I took the bus up to Palmerston North and met her for lunch on Monday, so that was nice, and grand-daughter Emma has Sunday and Monday as her weekend, so joined us as well. We went to Cafe Cuba which has been recently refurbished, great food and coffee.
Emma and Nicky
Nicky and me
My children were born way back in the mid 60s one year and four days apart, so I was a very busy young Mum indeed. Some years ago I wrote a poem about this time, and would like to share this with you. If poetry is not your thing, we'll say goodbye now.
The Toddler and the Baby
With a toddler and a baby, going shopping's quite a feat
I tuck the baby in the pram and strap the toddler in the seat
With a heavy bag of shopping, food items that we need
I walk on home and then, it's time for baby's feed
With a toddler and a baby, I'm busy washing all the time
I hand wash little jumpers, and hang the nappies on the line
They both wear bibs at mealtimes, so there's plenty in the wash
Shirts and shorts and dresses, and little cotton socks
With a toddler and a baby, there's not a minute free
One is up, and one's asleep, I'm as busy as can be
With just twelve months between them, I'm on the go both night and day
But though my days are hectic, we still have time to play
The toddler and the baby, they fill my heart with joy
My precious baby daughter, and my handsome little boy
Do they know how much I love them, my little blue eyed pair
These children of my body, for them I'll always care.
15 comments:
I didn’t know you were a poet! That brings back memories of when my daughter was little. Nice to have lunch out to celebrate your daughter’s birthday.
Lovely poem about that time when your two were little, Jenny...fond memories..;))))
Teddy Bear cushion cover is coming along really well with your slow stitching...
Nice works hugs, Julierose
such a lovely heartfelt poem....sums it up perfectly i'd say....
Such a sweet poem. It touched my heart :)
What a lovely poem, Jenny! It's so nice that you took time to write it, when you were feeling overwhelmed with child care. You created a beautiful memory. And now, look at how they've grown! It's hard to believe isn't it?... how they're adults entering their senior years too. Believe me, I understand! I'm glad you could travel a bit for a meet-up. Seeing you working on those bears made me wonder... did I miss the finish of your embroidery on the sea creatures?
Such a cute poem! Bravo! You have a hidden talent, Jenny. ;^)
Good progress with the big stitching on the Teddy.
Lovely to have had a birthday lunch with your DD and GD.
What a beautiful poem you wrote.
Nice poem and those birthdays were close together in date and time I'm glad mine were 2 years apart little easier to do it by myself when Mike was away on the submarines,
Your daughter looks a lot like you. My children were two years apart so your poem resonated with me.
Love your poem, Jenny! I remember those days with a toddler and baby, too - I don't think we ever got out of the house before noon. Your teddy bear stitching looks very enjoyable!
Busy days before there were all the modern appliances we have now, but life was at a slower pace, safer, not so many distractions and no internet for me or automatic washer. Lovely to celebrate a birthday with your daughter, special times.
Happy Birthday to your son and daughter! Good for her taking a week off for her birthday! Your poem was reminiscent of the years taking care of my two oldest grandbabies. Thank you for warming my heart.
Lovely to see your big stitches. A skill I am still trying to master.
Lovely Poem! They are always our babies aren't they.
Aaw what a darling poem, Jenny. It reminded me of my days with a toddler and a baby. I sure do miss those times. Happy birthday to both of your children. I am glad you were able to speak to your son and spend some time with your daughter. Love the darling teddy cushion you are working on. Have a great week. Hugs.
Post a Comment