Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, September 3, 2026

Trip to the Vet

It was time for Gemma's trip to the vet for her annual vaccination.  She has been very healthy all her life so this is the only time so goes for a visit.  I had to be a bit sneaky in the morning.  Gemma has her usual routine, get up, have breakfast, then a morning snooze.  I didn't want her getting in to her hidey hole in the cat tower since we were going out.  If  I went to pick her up by reaching right into the tower and she didn't want me too, she has been known to get rather hissy.  Cats always seem to know when the usual routine is different don't they.  So I shoved a couple of cushions into the tower to keep her out, and shut the sitting room door to keep her in the room - that should work.

Tricking the cat, keeping this area cat free

She settled down on the dining room chair, and was soon scooped up and put in her carry cage.  Then off to the vet we went, just a short drive.  She is no trouble in the car, and barely makes a sound.

Ready to go

Once inside the vet clinic, out of the cage and onto the consulting table, Gemma was not very brave at all, and buried her head against me while the vet checked her over, and gave her the vaccination.  "Would she like a treat?"  the vet asked, and put a couple down for her.  No way, Gemma wasn't going to be bribed, and couldn't climb back into her carry cage fast enough.  She is in excellent condition, with a great coat, I was told.  I commented that Gemma was now 8 years old.  Eight years, four months, and so many days, I can't quite remember the actual number, I was informed.  Obviously there is a running total of her age on the computer screen.  The consultation was quick, professional and went very smoothly, so we returned home in no time at all.  She gave herself a quick groom, and settled down, not too bothered by her trip to the vet, and happy to be back home again.

As Gemma now goes into the cattery if I go away. I need to show proof that she has been vaccinated.  She always has been,  of course, we would never have compromised on her health.  But I guess not everyone takes pet health care seriously.

I noticed there was a sign on the clinic door not to bring dead birds inside and had asked if this was a problem.  Not so far, I was told, but because that nasty bird flu had reached New Zealand and killed some birds, it will surely get worse over time.  The public have been advised not to pick up sick or dead birds, and also to stop feeding them in the garden, as that brings birds into close proximity.  I had recently put a seed cone outside for the birds over winter, but will not be repeating that till I have heard it is safe to do so again.

No more feeding the birds for a while

I have been spending a little time at the sewing machine, and knitting too, but nothing really to show just yet.  And made some more soup for lunch, broccoli and blue cheese soup, delicious.  It's rather green, so it's got to be good for me!

No comments: