Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

That's Different

 My Probus club had arranged a trip to Otaki to visit the Shelshok Gallery today.  I'd never heard of it, although it has been around for a while.  Owned by the very talented and creative Lynne O'Connor, it was full of decorated eggs.  All sorts of eggs, from emus to chickens, and many in between.  Our visiting group was split into two, so we could all move easily around the light and airy, but small gallery.  



There was certainly plenty to see - and I spotted a display of signs of the zodiac, and zeroed in to my birth sign, a beautiful golden Libra.  "That's me", I told the lady beside me, "the scales of justice".  That certainly is me, I like things balanced and even.


Libra, the scales of justice.

As well as decorated eggs, there were works of art like the display of zodiac signs, and many beautiful bird paintings.  Lynne is very talented indeed, and self taught, she mentioned.  Here are some of the many eggs on display which caught my eye.   Many had a humourus theme.

  


Graduation Day

Birds of a Feather


Fairyland perhaps

Cascade, very pretty

I loved the Panda eggs

Eggy art pieces

Inspired by Faberge.  I loved the little egg people holding the signs

Six Pack and Keg, topped with Tui Brewery bottle tops

There was such a lot to see, in cabinets, on the wall displayed on glass shelves.  The glass and the lighting made taking photos difficult, so as you can image, there was so much more to see.  It was a very interesting visit, and just for the cost of a gold coin donation.  We signed the Visitors Book, said our goodbyes, and went on to our next stop.  Lunch was at the nearby Riverstone Cafe. 

Time for lunch

Mmm, what to have, that's always the question.  My mind was made up when I spotted Cheese Rolls, and recalled my South Island Coach trip earlier in the year when I tried many a Southland Cheese Roll at the various lunch stops.  My lunch today was Otaki North Island rolls, nice and tasty, with a very welcome hot Flat White coffee as well.    Many thanks to the Probus Club for arranging a nice day out.

No comments: