Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, September 19, 2026

Stitching something Purple

 It was purple sewing with a difference this week.  I've ben busy stitching myself another cowl neck top.  Although it is Spring here, there are still chilly days hanging about so I'll get some wear out of it before the warm sunny days arrive.   This purple/navy hounds-tooth knit fabric has been tucked away in a crate in the loft for longer than I can remember.  The crates have now been brought down for me by my granddaughter who had no fear climbing the ladder, to see what they contained, must admit I had forgotten after all this time.  Some of the fabric has been sent to the Op Shop, and some I plan to use.  

The pattern I used is very simple and didn't take to long at all to stitch together.  And will be handy to wear with navy trousers.

Cozy new top

I've also been working on a new quilt top for donation, more about that later.  But I thought you would like to see Gemma staking her claim on the floor.  I had laid out the backing, and batting, and went to get the quilt top to smooth down.  Gemma had other ideas, and was most reluctant to give up her cozy spot.  She had arranged the batting "just so" and was quite settled, thank you very much!  After all, didn't I put it there on the floor just for her?

I don't want to move!

13 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely cowl topper, Jenny;))) I haven't made clothing myself in a very long time...nice work hugs, Julierose

Maureen said...

Gemma is an entertaining companion! Your new top will look pretty on you. I think you are very clever when it comes to all your needle skills.

Sara said...

Of course you put that batting there just for Gemma's comfort. Why else would you lay it on the floor? LOL That lovely top will look good with navy this spring, but would also go nicely with white pants for summer.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That purple cowl neck top will look fabulous on you! Gemma had it down!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I never had trouble with ladders until after I started to have stress fractures about 4 years ago in my feet. I haven't had any now for about 2 years but I know longer think about climbing ladders

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a pretty top, Jenny! I love the cowl neck. Gemma is so funny - of course she loves the batting!

loulee said...

Gemma was just checking the cosy level. Nice top.

Jenn Jilks said...

I have fond memories of sewing outfits for the grandies! And cat helpers, of course.

Carolyn said...

That’s a great top! You did such a good job on it. Seeing it almost makes me want to get my patterns out and sew some clothing!

Maria said...

Lovely purple top Jenny.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Enjoy your new purple top, Jenny! Sorry that your quilting assistant Gemma had other ideas for the layers of your donation quilt. LOL!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

That cowl top looks so comfy and practical. Just the type of top I like to have in my wardrobe, too.

Anonymous said...

That top looks so cozy!!