This little corgi is waving the flag for Great Britain. I had stitched three of these, and made two into place mats for my corgi owning grand-daughter as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. Why I stitched the third one, I've got no idea. But I found it hiding in a basket full of stuff recently and thought it was time I did something with it.
So I decided to make myself a new apron and use the corgi stitchery as a pocket. I've got lots of aprons, but some are getting rather tatty and should be replaced, so a new one is a good idea. Full disclosure, I'm a messy cook, and always use an apron when I'm cooking.
Included in a recent parcel of donated fabric was a length of red and navy checked fabric. I would have preferred to make the apron a little wider, but was working with what I had. A simple sew, with the pocket stitched on the right hand side, and purchased red tape for the straps.
My new apron
Another recently finished project was a winter cowl neck top, made from cream stretch fabric with a little wool in the mix. Many years ago I used to do "Knit Wit" stretch sewing, it was very big here in New Zealand and Australia in the 80s and early 90s. I'm not sure if this franchise made it's way to overseas countries as well. There must be former Knit Wit ladies out there, I'm sure. Luckily I had some stretch machine needles to use, and remembered to pull the fabric slightly while sewing.
New winter top
When my grand-daughter pulled down some crates from the loft for me a wee while ago, there were two full of stretch fabric that I had almost forgotten about. Some I will use, there are a couple of pretty lengths to make new summer nighties, some I have already sent to the Op Shop, and goodness knows what I will do with the rest. Years ago I got rid of most of my patterns, just have a couple left.
The Polar blast has moved away, the temperatures are slightly warmer, but it is still winter here, of course. Rain is forecast now. Winter weather is not so bad for retired people who don't have to brave the winter weather too much, and at much more civilised hours than workers. But I can remember my working years, out of the house by 6.30am, travel by bus and train from Upper Hutt to Wellington, work all day then repeat the trip home. Always traveling in the dark during the winter months, and coming home to a cold house, light the fire, cook a meal, and repeat. Life is certainly so much simpler now.
No comments:
Post a Comment