Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Shopping and Voting

I’ve got a very important quilt to make, so I took a trip to my local quilt shop, Fox’s Cottage.

P1040058

My daughter Nicky has a big birthday coming up, but not for a while, so I’ve got plenty of time to think about it.  After I made her a birthday quilt for her 40th birthday, then her 50th, I presumed she would like another when she turns 60.  Yes she would, she replied excitedly.  We had talked colours and designs, and she had sent me several photos she had found on the internet.  Nothing sharp and pointy she declared!  Nicky would like nine patches, she decided, and rather liked pinks, greens, not too bright and garish, with cream, and would leave the rest up to me. So it was time to go shopping and make a start on gathering some compatible fabrics. 

P1040059

Shopping trip

A check through my stash should find some smaller pieces which would work well, and I’ll probably need to buy some more later, but these will get me started.  I’m pleased I’ve got plenty of time, so I wont need to be in too much of a rush.  I'll have to decide between alternate blocks and/or sashing and then borders, but that will all fall into place once I start making the blocks.  So exciting to be starting such a special project.

On the drive back home  I stopped off at Lewis Farms to buy some new season asparagus.   The grading machines were busy, clatter clatter, keeping the workers on their toes as they sorted the different grades.  At the height of the season, this place is packed full of workers, busily doing all the various jobs as required.   Many of the seasonal workers come and stay in their motor homes and caravans and park up on the grounds for a small cost - no travel time to work when you are staying on site. 

P1040054

Grading the asparagus

The farm shops stocks other locally made goods as well, honey, pesto, free range pork products, bread and crackers.  Lewis Farms also grow strawberries and raspberries, and real fruit ice-cream is available, as well as freshly ground coffee.  The shop was bustling with customers so I had a little wait for my coffee fix.

P1040056

Asparagus and coffee

Saturday was Election Day, time for everyone to have their say and go and vote.  We had voted early, but many people like to enjoy the atmosphere and cast their vote on the actual day.  We watched the TV coverage in the evening, and it was obvious people thought it was time for a change.  Labour was trounced and National will be the new government.  The Special Votes still need to be counted, those from Kiwis overseas, in hospitals, and those who voted outside  of their electorates.  There may well be changes to a few seats, but it seems that overall National will form a government with one or two coalition parties.

P1040023

Robin’s Monday morning physio classes are going well, and he is noticing improvements to his knee each week.  As I'm still the nominated driver, its coffee time for me while I sit and wait for him to do his exercise circuit.  And a little more sock knitting to pass the time.  We are looking forward to seeing the orthopedic surgeon on Thursday who will hopefully clear Robin to drive again.

P1040064P1040065

Waiting till Robin has completed his physio

12 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

How exciting to begin a new special quilt. Such pretty fabrics already pulled. I know your daughter will treasure the quilt. Well that is so interesting about the farm. Do they give tours? I did not know that the asparagus was graded.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colours in the new quilt project! I love starting a new quilt! Glad to hear Robin is doing well with his new knee. Good to have knitting to do while you wait. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Carolyn said...

Thanks for posting about the asparagus farm. That’s not something I’ve seen; although we have local farms where we can buy produce, they are not at all on that scale. Very interesting.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a nice way to pass your time while waiting for Robin, looks like you have a fairly comfortable spot to wait. Have fun with your new quilt to make

Julierose said...

Lovely soft pinks and greens for your planned quilt present. My daughter just turned 56 yesterday...hard for us to believe!! Hugs, Julierose

Jenn Jilks said...

That looks like a peaceful way to pass the time!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Fresh asparagus is so good! I love eating it raw, but steamed is good, too. I know you’ll enjoy making the special birthday quilt.

Jackie said...

Oh such pretty colours for a quilt. I bet it is going to be absolutely spectacular.

God bless.

Lyndsey said...

Great fabrics for a special birthday quilt, it will look amazing. I like the knitting yarn as well.

Karen S said...

Very exciting to be planning a birthday quilt. Good luck!!
Lovely to have fresh asparagus. We live in an area that grows lots of it.
Enjoy your tasty treat.

loulee said...

You're close to foxes cottage? How exciting, I've shopped a little on line there. Have fun with your new project.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Planning and shopping for a birthday quilt sounds like so much fun! I like that you have given her one for her "0" birthdays!!! And yes, love asparagus!!! Fun to see the operations!