Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, October 28, 2023

Batik Blocks

Hiding away in my big bag of batiks were some Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks I had started in January 2021.  Originally I had planned another project, don't remember what after all this time, only that it  didn't go ahead, so I started making Cobblestone blocks each month instead.  They had been tucked away for a while, and I had almost forgotten about them.

P1010518

MY big bag of batiks

Are there enough blocks for a quilt for our bed, I wondered?  I laid them all out on my design bed, and had a look.  Nope, still need some more, I decided.  So I set to work, cut extra strips, and stitched some more blocks.  Hopefully, these will be enough.

P1040209

Extra Cobblestone blocks

I still need to assemble the quilt top, and then decide if I want a border or not.  That will be my next task.  I’m so pleased that this project is progressing again.  Sadly, there are several more RSC unfinished projects from the last year or so.  Seems like too many starts and not enough finishes have been happening here.

17 comments:

Jo said...

Sounds a bit like me. Hopefully you can get some more on their way to a finish.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Glad this project is back in progress again. Your blocks are pretty! I am in the same boat as you…lots of UFO’s and too many new starts, not enough finishes! Sew on!

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

Maybe we could think of our unfinished projects more like money in the bank instead of a lapse of virtue?


I haven't updated my UFO list in several years...too chicken.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those are pretty batiks and I always like how quickly that pattern goes together

Julierose said...

I know that feeling of not enough finishes for sure!! I like your batik cobblestone blocks a lot--that will be such a pretty quilt!! Hugs, Julierose

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Pretty blocks. I haven’t been sewing much as I’m still trying to get relief from back pain.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such pretty Batiks, Jenny! They will make a great quilt, whatever size it ends up. I have lots of unfinished projects, too - don't we all?!

Cathy said...

I totally relate to the “ too many starts and not enough finishes” adage! That’s what we have the last quarter of the year for, and so I’m in the midst of my Finishing Frenzy. Your bed-sized quilt is ambitious, and the colors are lovely! Good luck, dear Jenny,

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Batiks really do have the prettiest colours in them and I like that they are reversable. THose cobblstone blocks are great and one I can manage. Just sorted my scraps and that might work for them too, come to think of it.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Such stunning soft colors. How fortunate you rediscovered this treasure.

Linda in UK said...

I think your blocks will make a lovely new quilt for your bed. Looking forward to seeing it!

Jackie said...

Good for you. The soft colours are very restful. You get so many projects completed.

God bless.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Those are some beautiful cobblestone blocks!

Mari said...

Such pretty batiks! All of us have a lot of unfinished projects. Sometimes they just need a time out until we can finish them. It's nice to have a surprise find every once in a while, too!

Sara said...

Batiks make such lovely quilts. Very pretty cobblestone blocks!

loulee said...

Beautiful blocks Jenny.

Karen S said...

I am pleased you rediscovered them. They are lovely.