Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, October 8, 2023

Noah’s Ark

I’m pleased that my Noah’s Ark stitchery blocks are now a top.  They were such fun to stitch, and this project traveled with us during our two months caravan trip around the South Island.  Stitching at lovely campsites after a day of sightseeing over the summer months, it was a very enjoyable project to work on indeed.  Not that they were completed during our holiday – but were slowly worked on when we returned home.  The designs were stitched on two large pieces of fabric, then  cut apart and bordered in different colours. 

P1040006

While on our caravan trip I visited a quilt shop in Blenheim and found a great fabric to use for the border of this quilt.  It reminded me of the colours of the rainbow so I just had to have it, in fact I purchased the last on the board, just short of 2 metres I think.  And to think I only went shopping for black Perle no.5 thread, I did very well indeed. 

P1010062

This fabric took a bit of finding last week, I had put it away safely somewhere – but where?  Luckily I found it and stitched up the quilt top.  And here it is, the completed top. 

P1040031

Noah's Ark quilt top

Lynette Anderson-O’Rourke designed these lovely blocks and I found it as a freebie on the internet.

P1040034

Noah's Ark on top of the mountain

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your Noah quilt! Whimsical embroideries and the perfect border fabric! You will remember your trip to the South Island every time you look at it. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

maggie fellow said...

darling stitcheries - it made a wonderful quilt

Janice said...

I’ve finally had a chance to catch up on blog reading. Your life continues to be quite busy. I hope Robin’s knee is gradually healing. You’ve been working on some great projects, with some foster kids going to receive some nice gifts. I bet Robin was surprised with his socks. You did well to keep them a secret. The border fabric on your Noah’s Ark quilt is ideal.

linda said...

Well done it's fabulous! That lovely rainbow fabric looks just perfect as the border. Have a great Sunday.

ButterZ said...

Great fabric for the borders.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The rainbow fabric is perfect for this quilt, it looks very nice! Will you hand quilt this quilt or use your sewing machine? Happy stitching!

Berkshire Tatter said...

Your quilt is just gorgeous. Quilts made with embroidery blocks are so nice.

Marthanne

Sarah said...

This is such a nice project and has lots of happy holiday memories attached!

CathieJ said...

That border fabric is perfect for that quilt. I love the fabrics you used to border each embroidery. This is a great quilt.

FlourishingPalms said...

How lovely, Jenny! The story of Noah building the ark and loading it with pairs of animals always translates nicely into a stitchery. And I love that God's promise to never flood the earth again, is always seen in a rainbow. Your bright sashing colors and rainbow border print suit it perfectly! Hope you enjoy quilting it too.

Vicki in MN said...

Beautiful stitchin' made for a really pretty quilt.

Julierose said...

What a beautiful quilt with that just perfect rainbow border;)) Nice work,,
hugs, Julierose

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Well done! It looks wonderful.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

they are nice stitchery's with memories attached.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Noah's Ark has turned out wonderfully, Jenny! I love the colorful sashings around the embroidered blocks and you definitely found the perfect border print. What a fun project!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great finish, and great find on that fabric!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a beautiful finish,Jenny. And that fabric was just the perfect find. IS Lynette Anderson ORourke, the Lynette Anderson?

Fiona said...

Your quilt has turned out gorgeous and happy... love that fabric you found....

Hugz

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh my, Ginny, your Noah's Ark quilt is absolutely beautiful. I love the layout and the rainbow. Well done. I also love your new header photo. Gorgeous.

Lyndsey said...

I love your version of the Noah's Ark. Aubrey loves his quilt and showing everyone the different animals.

Karen S said...

Great to see your quilt top together. Love that rainbow stripe.