Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, October 7, 2023

RSChallenge Finish

It’s always good to have a finish, isn't it.  This one is made from boys Happy Blocks I stitched during my RSC sewing last year, 2022.  It was fun finding charm squares in the nominated colours each month, and selecting fabrics to frame them.  Some months I stitched several squares, and others, just one or two.  The top had been finished for a while, then I finally got around to quilting it, using a donated fleecy sheet (thanks, Dot) as the backing. Then I made a scrappy brown/cream binding to finish it off.

P1030909

Boy’s donation quilt

Most of the squares came from my late neighbour’s stash, and I found dogs, sports, safari animals, boats and such which were suitable for a boy.  Then I added some New Zealand themed squares too, caravans, silver ferns - our NZ sporting emblem, and kiwis.

P1030911P1030910

New Zealand squares

I've also been stitching Happy Blocks for this year, 2023 RSC, both for a boy and a girl.  The boys squares have all been used up, but there are still plenty of girly ones yet.  So that's two more quilts that will need finishing some time soon.  Oh dear, plus all the others waiting in the wings!

It’s Spring here now, and during this season the weather is always so changeable, with quite a bit of wind.  We have a lovely native Kowhai tree in the back garden, which was a mass of beautiful blossoms, and these attract the Tui to sip their nectar.    The wind soon took care of that, and most of them are now a yellow carpet on the concrete path.  This tree was a self seeded small seedling which we brought up from our previous home and has now grown into a lovely mature tree.

P1030899

P1030903

Hanging Kowhai blossoms

9 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Good work, quilting. I've just been felting, but it is relaxing.
The flowers are so sweet! I think most of our flowers are done for winter.

The Cozy Quilter said...

A little boy is going to love this quilt! Wonderful finish. Your tree is beautiful! I think I have a piece of fabric with the flowers on it. I bought it at a quilt show that featured quilts from NZ several years ago. Check my blog tomorrow for the quilt that I used it in.

Julierose said...

What a gorgeous tree with those yellow blossoms--I'll bet even that "carpet" of petals on the ground is pretty!!
Nice finish on that Boys' quilt...you have plenty to keep you busy;)))
HAPPY SPRIMG! We are definitely in rainy Fall weather here--gray, gray days...
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

some little boy will love this! you are getting spring and fall is arriving here!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on your RSC quilt finish, Jenny!! It turned out great!

grammajudyb said...

Fabulous quilt, Jenny! The colors are just perfect! Gorgeous tree also! Wind really takes the flowers down. And the leaves of course!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a great boy quilt,, Jenny! Looks like you had the perfect centers for the happy blocks. And such a beautiful tree, too! The Spring blooms never seem to stay long enough.

Mari said...

This is a great finish! A little boy will love it. And what a great use of your neighbor's fabrics, too. Congratulations on the finish!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Such a handsome quilt, with lots of fun squares! I like how you quilted it, too. The blossoms on your tree are so lovely. Happy Spring!