Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, January 1, 2021

Looking Back at 2020

What a year it has been, what with the global pandemic throwing a spanner in the works.  So it has been interesting to look back through the blog posts to see what I’ve managed to achieve this year.  Some old projects finally finished, plus a few new ones, and I enjoyed taking part in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge again this year.

I finished my Autumn stitchery in February.  Hand embroidered and hand quilted, I really enjoyed stitching this little wall-hanging - this is a free pattern from Crabapple Hill Studio.

P1340331

Autumn stitchery

Several items were stitched for the caravan.  Christmas Coins was an idea copied from Jocelyn of Canadian Needle Nana blogspot, and I made my version into a tablecloth to use in the caravan over the Christmas holidays.  Using up some birthday fabric featuring caravans, I stitched an apron, placemats, and a small bag to carry Robin’s can of beer and a glass to Happy Hour.

P1340531P1340428

P1340435

Sewing for the caravan

Tane Mahuta was finished in April wwhile the country  was in lockdown, and was inspired by the Tiny Tree stitch-along by Temecula Quilt Co.   Using two New Zealand batik designs, kowhai tree and ferns, I decided to make the blocks a little bigger and stitched pinwheel blocks instead of the multiple block designs which were offered.  I like to imagine the two fabrics show sunlight filtering down through the branches of this magnificent tree.  My little wall hanging is a tribute  to Tane Mahuta, Lord of the Forest, which is New Zealand’s largest known living kauri tree.  Growing in the Waipoua Forest of Northland, New Zealand it is  estimated to be between 1,250 and 2,500 years old.

P1340511

Tane Mahuta

Under the Sea was one of those long winded projects I was pleased to complete.  Under the Sea was a free stitchery  Block of the Month sew-along, by Willowberry Designs.  I increased the size of each block, and certainly enjoyed stitching each one.  The whimsical designs are highlighted with fabric pens. Although these blocks were stitched in 2010, they were packed away and took me all this time to find them again and complete the quilt.  I’m keeping this one for future great-grandbabies.

P1000324

Under the Sea

My great-niece Kate turned 21 and had requested a blue cushion so I was happy to oblige.  This was during our second partial lockdown so we were unsure if we could actually attend her party or not.  But there was a last minute reprieve when the levels went down, allowing for gatherings to take place.

P1000330

Kate’s 21st Birthday Cushion

My pin wheel travel blocks from our UK trip in 2008 as finally made into a table cloth in September.  I remember taking my bag of blocks and pen everywhere we went and asking people to sign them.  While in England we travelled far and wide, visiting castles and cathedrals  and all sorts of interesting places.   I have signed blocks from Dover Castle, Bodium Castle, Hampton Court Palace, and the amazing Buckingham Palace!  Although the Queen was not there to greet us, we were certainly impressed with the beautiful state rooms, all done out in crimson, white and gold – such a sight to see.

P1000565

Lots of memories in these blocks

And I’m pleased to have completed two of my RSC projects.  I’m so pleased with my Colourpoint Cats, beautifully quilted by Linda of Taupo.  Ans my Selvedge Spools is a pretty addition to the sewing room.

P1010355P1010414

Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects completed this year

But I have to say that I’m most proud of my socks!  The blue pair took me a couple of years to finally get to the finish line.  But once I had some extra tuition and finally mastered those tricky heels and toes, I went on to knit even more, deciding them I wanted them to be a little longer in the top.  These cozy socks are knitted with 12ply wool, so will need hand washing, not that it will be a problem, and come next winter, I’ll have the warmest toes in town!

P1010482

My new wool socks

As well I’ve stitched five children’s donation quilts, made a dozen or so draw string bags, all for the Foster Hope Charity.  Plus knitted umpteen little baby beanies to donate as well.  These little hats are quite enjoyable to knit, and I have used up all my partial balls of wool which have been hanging about for ages. These three blue/white ones were knitted on a recent caravan trip away and used up the ends of some left over wool.

P1010474

Three more baby beanies

P1000705

And celebrated my 75th birthday, so all in all, it’s been quite a busy year!

Many thanks to all blog followers, and those who take the time to add a comment  or two, it is much appreciated.  It has been so nice to follow other blogs as well, see what is happening in other countries, and admire your projects too.  Wishing you all a safe and happy New Year, keep calm and keep stitching.


13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

out of all of these I think I still love the cats the best!! happy new year

ButterZ said...

That’s a nice overall post of 2020. Hopefully you are just as productive in 2021

Lyndsey said...

I love all your projects Jenny, they are beautiful. I particularly like the cats and the under the sea quilt. Happy New Year

Tired Teacher 2 said...

An excellent tally of your accomplishments!

Kate said...

That's a lot of finishes for one year! You have some gorgeous finishes for the year. My favorite is your RSC Kitty Cat quilt, that's so cute. Hope that 2021 is a really good year on all fronts.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, you had a productive year full of beautiful finishes. Happy New Year!

Judith nb Serena said...

Hi Jenny, I haven't forgotten about you, I have been following with great interest all your stitching and travels, I love all your various stitching and knitting, it gives me great incentive to have a go myself. Maybe this will be the year to start. Also your travels bring back such happy memories from our visit to New Zealand. Happy New Year to you and Robin, may 2021 be a better year for everyone. Take care and stay safe.
Judith nb Serena

Jackie said...

So many wonderful finishes. Good for you. I too love the Cats and the spools.

Happy New Year.

God Bless.

Maria said...

In spite of the wierd year we've all had you did achieve a lot of beautiful projects and enjoyed many outs as well as celebrate a special birthday....

Karen S said...

Lovely achievements!

Marly said...

So many lovely finishes! I think I like the cats quilt best because of the spiky cats. Did you cut all those thin points or is it paper pieced? Well done in mastering heels and toes; I've been struggling with those too this year.

FlourishingPalms said...

It IS fun to revisit a year's worth of projects, isn't it? Even if at times it seemed like we were "slogging through mud," a recollection of finishes helps one feel like there was some value to those 365 days! I, for one, sure enjoy seeing your "Under the Sea" finish. I still have mine too. You're sprightly, ambitious, and young for your 75 years. Bless you in 2021!

Cathy said...

It’s been a fun year of following you and your adventures in cloth, knitting and travel! Here’s to a happy and healthy 2021. All the best wishes to you, Jenny!