Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, January 9, 2021

Checkerboards and Four Patches

I’ve been “head down” doing some Rainbow Scrap Challenge sewing this week.  Top of the list was to get my Checkerboard quilt assembled and add the borders.  First of all I laid all the blocks out on top of our bed, and rearranged the colours till I was happy with the arrangement.  It went from this…..

P1010494

Sewing the borders on

P1010497

To this…….top completed

I need to purchase some fabric for the backing, so that is the next step.  Ideally, this donation quilt will be given to an older boy – I’ll be doing some simple quilting on it to finish it off.

It’s always interesting coming across something which you had forgotten all about, isn’t it.  While fossicking amongst some bags tucked away in a crate in the wardrobe, I rediscovered these 4 patches.  Goodness knows what I was making them for, but I had stitched an assortment of green, red and yellow.  So I whipped up some pink ones in this month’s colour, and just like that, I have another RSC project in the mix.  I’m sure these will come in handy for another donation quilt by the end of the year.

P1010473

Found 4 patches, plus a few new ones

18 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh, that quilt top is so good! Perfect for a boy. Hope you find a fun backing fabric, and that the quilting goes smoothly. As I've said before, you are very generous with your fabrics and sewing time.

ButterZ said...

That’s a good start to your next quilt

Julierose said...

Lovely beginnings to a new quilt...and a pretty finish, too
hugs, Julierose

Jackie said...

Very cool quilt. A boy would love that.

Isn't it amazing what you can find buried away under other items.

God bless.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Your chequerboard quilt looks great....well done. What a bonus to get a head start on a new RSC project x

Karen S said...

Well done getting your top completed.
It has come up really well. A great achievement.

Janice said...

The chequerboard quilt looks so effective when it is all together. Have fun with your new four patches.

scraphappy said...

Glad you found those fun four patches and put them to work. It is always amazing what forgotten projects are lurking in closets and wardrobes.

Jennifer said...

how fun to find buried treasure we forgot all about! I've done that a time or two... i love your first quilt- i'll have to keep that in mind- a great way to use squares AND yardage.

fossiking? is that really a word? i never heard of it before....

maggie fellow said...

great checkerboard quilt - I had not heard the word fossicking before - how fun

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome looking quilt top, Jenny!! Any young person should be pleased to receive this for their very own. Funny that you came up with MORE 4-Patch blocks in your sorting!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Great job! Personally, I think simple scrappy quilts are THE best.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your checkerboard quilt top, Jenny! The gray sashing sets off the checkerboard blocks perfectly. What size are the squares in your checkerboards?

Lin said...

Your checkerboard top is a great finish and perfect for a boy. How useful to have some readymade blocks for your next quilt! xx

Jenny said...

Yes, fossicking is a real word, to those who asked. It means to rummage and seek, which was what I was doing looking through the crates. Checking out bags of bits and pieces to see what I had put away and forgotten about.

Ivani said...

Nice job on checkerboard top. So cool!

Maria said...

The checkerboard flimsy looks great and after finding some more 4patches you can make another quilt later this year..
Oh I must join my Sisters from last years RSC..

Susie H said...

Your Checkerboard quilt is gorgeous! I love how you made the blocks uneven then laid them out every other way. Total absorption while looking at the finish. Fantastic!